NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my beetle brand new in February, and today I noticed the key is very weak. I have to be standing next to window in order to get it to remotely deactivate the alarm. It seems like I haven't had the car long enough for the remote to be dead. Do I have to take it to the dealership to have the battery replaced? Do I need both remotes to change the battery so the alarm can be reset? Or could it be a faulty transmitter and not the battery at all?

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
You can swap the remote batteries yourself. It's a simple process of releasing the key blade, grasping each side firmly, and pulling it apart. :D

Once you have it apart, find the rubber gasket/joint on the remote half. Pry apart again, and voila. Batteries.

And that's all there is to that. :)

Funny thing, the batteries in my '00 NB's remotes still work pretty damn well (considering it's almost 6,5 years old). My '03 and '05 work well.

-Des

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I replaced the battery in my key yesterday after the dear bf managed to get it apart. It still doesn't work. My dad thinks it is the transmitter inside the car but I can't test it because he has the other clicker. Going to take it out to the dealership today before I leave town for the holiday. Hopefully they will be able to look at it real quick and order the part so it can be fixed next week.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I have not studied how the keyless entry works on these cars, but on some other German models they have a keyfob signal amplifier in the car and an antennna that is either tied into the glass or the radio antenna.

So you need to figure out if the problem is the key or the car.

Once idea is to go to your local auto parts store and see if they have an Engergizer keyfob tester and see how for the key works from the car. See picture of keyfob tester below, I think I have even seen these at Home Depot? Usually where the coin batteries are located.

Also if you have 2 keys, I think you can resync the keyfob to the car. I have had to do this with my GMC trunk before due to something drifting over time.

On some of the other German models, I have actually synced a known good keyfob from another car to determine if the car was the problem.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts