VW Beetle Forum banner

Key Question

742 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  billymade 
#1 ·
Hi all. New guy and a new NB owner. I'm sure this one has been around, but I couldn't find it. My question is: does anyone know when the Beetle started using the transponder chip. I have read on the sidewinder key site that 98 thru 4/00 did not use it. My info tag says mine was manufactured in 3/00. But I have the light on the dash with the bug and key. I wouldn't mind a second key for it, but not at the prices I have seen. The nearest VW dealer is 200 miles away. Any info or advice would be appreciated.

#2 ·
The year 2000, seems to be when VW started with immo 2 spec system; you can learn more about things here:

Overall VW immobilizer info:

You can order new keys here, they offer a cutting service and rental for the needed scan tools, to do DIY programming: (tools required: vagtacho and vcds)

Fir a less hassle approach: you might call around to a automotive mobile locksmith and see what they charge for a cutting, buying a new key and the associated programming service, key matching required to start the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.