VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an '01 Beetle 1.8T. It only came with 1 key, and no fob. I was wandering if it should, or does have keyless entry, and would like to get a spare key. Do I have to go to the dealer, or what do I need to do? Thank you

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
The car does have a remote unlock system. To get a new key you have a couple of options:

1. Go to the dealer and get a new key, have it cut to match the lock and program the car to work with the remote. The dealer will charge around $250.

2. Buy a remote off ebay (~$40), talk the dealer into cutting it to match the lock (~$20), buy VCDS-Lite ($99), buy a OBDII cable off ebay (~$15) and do the programming yourself. This way you will end up owning VCDS which you will need if you do much work on the car yourself.

Ross-Tech: Products

Here is how to program the remote door unlock:

mk4 and B5 Remote Learning with VCDS by Ross Tech - YouTube

Here is how to program the immobilizer:

Immobilizer 2 and 3 Key Adaptation - YouTube

Here is more info about the remotes:

VWVortex.com - DIY guide to switchblade key remote replacement

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome.... Thanks.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Not sure what is a good price on a VW keyfob. Many dealers stick it to the customer on parts, but many dealers sell keys at wholesale prices and you really need a key to use your car so you can wear out and buy more parts!

I know that with BMW keyfobs, the wholesale price is around $155, but some dealers try to charge as much as $250.

I would start to call around dealer parts departments to get key pricing. Usually the key is shipped already cut. Not sure with the VW, but BMW the key anti theft transponder does not need to be programmed, as the cars have a default rolling code for the the replacement keys.

Sometimes it is far easier to find a dealer that will see the key at wholesale than trying to run around and get keys cut and figure out how to get things programmed.

I would expect a VW keyfob to be no more than $175 at a wholesale price, but this is just a guess.

Sometimes you just need to ask the parts department nicely if they can give you the best pricing on the key and they many times will honor your request.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Chances are you won't find a dealer to cut a key that you didn't purchase from them. Reason is, the [china eBay] keys have little to no brass content in the metal blade. This RUINS the tool on Sidewinder key cutters at the dealers. Said tool is $60 a pop (or was several years ago). Also, the china remotes can be a roll of the dice as well... I'd rather go with a used OEM remote.

Before it comes up in topic here... and this thread is primed for it to happen :) ... the dealer can't give you the PIN for the Immobilizer, they just don't see that and haven't for 8 years now.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Pencilneck,

Question as you seem pretty versed on the VW keys, which I do not have a lot of experience with.

I do know the BMW keys quite well, with the BMW key, you order a key from the dealer, you likely will have the key the next day, it is pre cut for your car, the immobilizer is preset to a default value that will allow the car to automatically recognizer the key and it will star the car without issues. The only thing you need to do is program all the keyfobs together using a key on sequence push a few buttons and you are finished.

Again the BMW keyfobs can be purchased from a good dealer that does not fleece you for under $160 ready to go, only need about 2 minutes to self program the keyfob(s).

1. What is a decent, not fleeced, dealer price on a VW keyfob? I recall on with the VW you may need to order the key as 2 parts? the flip key and the fob may be 2 separate part numbers, or there may be a complete key part number as well?
2. Does the immobilizer on the VW keys require dealer programming? I believe the immobilizer is part of the cluster as I recall??
3. Can the keyfob programming be performed by the customer/owner without any special tools or software?

I think these types of question are what most on the forum need to understand?

Thanks in advance.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,453 Posts
This place can cut keys for you: sidewindekey.com

We got one from them and it works great. We matched the immobilizer ourselves too. Much cheaper than going to the dealer.

·
Registered
762 Posts
1. What is a decent, not fleeced, dealer price on a VW keyfob? I recall on with the VW you may need to order the key as 2 parts? the flip key and the fob may be 2 separate part numbers, or there may be a complete key part number as well?
I have no clue what the normal pricing is for parts, I have "powerful connections" and do not pay normal prices. :D But to that end, the key and the remote are separate items. The key (Immobilizer) has no effect on the remote. The remote has no effect on the key (Immobilizer). These items are simple snapped together. There is no special part number for key/remote package deal for the mk4 platform.

Labor wise for key and remote learning is .5 to 1.0 hours seems to be run of the mill.

2. Does the immobilizer on the VW keys require dealer programming? I believe the immobilizer is part of the cluster as I recall??
A dealer level scan tool, like VCDS is required to adapt keys for the Immobilizer. See user red99's above post for links that have info and video showing how this is done. Also note you must have the PIN to do key adaptations. VCDS does not retrieve PINs and as I noted already, the dealer does not see this information any more.

The Immobilizer on the mk4 vehicles is with the Instrument Cluster.

3. Can the keyfob programming be performed by the customer/owner without any special tools or software?
The key (Immobilizer), no. See above. The remote, in some cases, maybe. You will need 2 keys.

• Take key #1, use it to turn the ignition on, engine off.
  • Step out of car, shut ALL doors, hood and trunk.
  • Take key #2 and put in driver's door. Turn key to the lock position and hold it there.
  • Take new remote to be learned and click the lock button twice quickly. Alarm horn should beep.
  • Remove ALL keys from vehicle, test remotes.

I'll say this when it comes to doing pretty much anything that involves Immobilizer on VW and Audi... if you find it on eBay, it is utter crap and a real gamble. I've seen this played out way too many times.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Pencilneck,

Thanks for your time and effort to response about these issues.

I do not have a full working copy of VCDS as of yet, so I will check into this a bit once I drop some $$$.

I guess once option for people that do not have a keyfob key is to find a used keyfob on ebay for a good price and possibly save some $$$ over the dealer price of the FOB portion of the key??

Also if someone wanted to be cheap about things, they could just purchase a used keyfob on ebay and just program the keyfob to get lock and unlock the car, they used the non keyfob key to start the car?? At least this way they would be half way toward their end goal! I need to review the keyfob learning procedure, but it is likely you can learn a single keyfob by just running through your basic procedure listed below? Having a seperate key and FOB is nothing new, my 2001 Ford Explorer was like this, my 2005 GMC Yukon is like this.

I know the top strap on my VW key broke many years ago and I bought a used key on ebay for cheap an used he casing, swapping he FOB guts and I sill have the rest of the ebay key still here.

I wonder if you could buy a used key, get a new key blank then learn the used key to the immobilizer on the car?? This may save you a bunch of cash, but as you say the PIN issue may be a problem if you do not have it. However, there are locksmith companies that advertise they can make and program keys/FOB's cheaper than you can buy a dealer key?? Maybe the can cut a blank off your current key without issue, then figuring out the immobilizer part is the last issue?

I know BMW pretty well and part of the issue with the BMW is the keyfob battery is not replaceable, you have to cut the key open, make sure you do not damage the circuitry cutting the keep open, unsolder the battery, solder a new battery in and then reglue the key. Not an easy DIY. Then for the most part the BMW key immobilizer chip is programmed, not the car. Not sure the BMW key can be reprogrammed or if it is a one time only program job???

I assume the PIN you are referring to is the small tag you get with the keys/car when purchased new?? I happen to still have mine after 10 years!

It is interesting to also see how many of these used VW's even have no original key at all by the time they hit owner #3+!!!

At least with the BMW's I have seen, you almost always end up with 1 original keyfob even after 10+ years.

I have no idea how so many people can loose the keys to their car, but I guess it happens when trade ins occur, people move, maybe people loose their keys from time to time.

Knock on wood, never lost any of my keys yet.

Did not fully search this here, but might be nice if there was the definitive mk4 platform key thread with all options to include thinking outside the box and going with a used ebay key for a baseline to save some $$$ if you could???

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So, I bought a switchblade key/remote off of eBay, seemed like a decent one, paid $49. Took it to the dealer to have it cut and programmed, cut it for free, and said he could program it for $45+tax, but was gonna be 1 hour to get it in, then 1 hour to program it. I didn't have that much time, so I just got it cut then headed home. Now I read that I cam program the remote myself, and the instructions I've found, doesn't work for some reason. I realize I'll have to take it to get the key programmed, guess ill have them do the remote too, or am I doing something wrong?

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
With a 98 or 99 NB, if you have two working keys you can program another to work with the car. In any other situation a VW specific scan tool will be needed. The reason is that the immobilizer was added in 2000. So you can either take the car back to the dealer or buy the VCDS-Lite and DIY as I mentioned in my earlier post.

·
Super Moderator
14,840 Posts
Did you make sure you got one for your year? There is a difference.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Yea, I guess it was the right one, as it was listed as such. And it is scheduled to go in next Saturday to get programmed... I figure $45 ain't as bad as I figured, and they already cut it for free...the oem part number is 1JO 959 753 DJ, so hopefully that's the one. Oh and my Beetle is an '01

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
My car was built 09/00... I don't have another remote/key, just a plain old black plastic headed key. I am trying to program the remote part, I am taking the car to the dealer to have them match the keys. And the way I read it, it should work on the older ones ie:my car. I've tried the directions a bunch of times, changed batteries, and tried some more, and still nothing...

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
The way that I read the "Mk4 VW key part numbers" section of the page that I linked, your car definitely has an immobilizer 2 since it was built before 5/01. This means that you have two choices for key types, either a "1j0 959 753f" (style #1) or "1j0 959 753t" (style #2).

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
The early remotes used two 2016 batteries. The later ones use one 2032 battery. The switch was around 2000, but your remote type may not match the model year if it has been replaced.

The remote part number is on the inside of the key. When you take it apart to replace the battery you should be able to see it. If you can post the part number someone around here can say for sure what the battery should be.

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
Interesting.

I checked out the Sidewindekey site. I'll give them a shout on Monday and get a esti for 2 replacement keys. Seems I have a lot to learn about this little bug'er.

I was not aware the keys included the chip off to one side of the key. I didn't even see it? All I saw was an emitter looking device attached to the battery leads.

So we have that key with a working transponder, so we can drive the car. But we'll still need to get the replacement keys done, as our luck is poor and we'll probably screw up that key.

The early remotes used two 2016 batteries.
Would that be just the factory 'deluxe' key (for lack of a better word)

The key place actually shows a battery type of:
Battery Type: One CR2032 or

oval button has two of cr1620
It just needs to be used in the 'Valet' key. I suppose all it does is unlock the drivers side door for the keyless entry? And the rest of the remote functions are not used until we get the 'deluxe' keys?

Just need to ensure we obtain the right parts and such.

In regards to the door handle on the drivers side. I've not pulled the panel off the door to inspect it. In the past I've found either steel bar linkage, or a cable that acts as the actuator. Sense this door handle is inop? (Just pulls out and does nothing) Does this handle use a "Normal" method to open the latch? Or is it some odd setup?

This is my first adventure in the Beetle series. Back in the day I used to be a tech working on mostly Fords and Dodge cars/trucks. We did not see to many VW's in the shop. (And I have not turned a wrench professionally for 20 years--just as a hobby on family transports)

Thanks again!

S-

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Interesting.
In regards to the door handle on the drivers side. I've not pulled the panel off the door to inspect it. In the past I've found either steel bar linkage, or a cable that acts as the actuator. Sense this door handle is inop? (Just pulls out and does nothing) Does this handle use a "Normal" method to open the latch? Or is it some odd setup?
It's a VW! Of course it uses something odd!

See the .pdf in this post. The latch probably was replaced but the latch preset step was left out.

http://newbeetle.org/forums/questio...ew-beetle/61315-door-handle-double-pulls.html

This has pictures of what the factory key remotes look like:

VW Key remote fob FAQ for mk4: disassembly for battery change, program instructions, and replacement cost

This also has good info about keys. Your car has an immobilizer that will need to be programmed to the keys. You will need the key code that came with the plastic key chain that the original keys came on, or someone to hack the car to get the code. I understand the dealers won't do it.

VWVortex.com - DIY guide to switchblade key remote replacement

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.