VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
My wife just bought a 2013 Beetle and it had just one key (not original). For some reason, it is a bit tough to turn off the car sometimes and get the key out of the ignition. I hear this is a common problem with VW vehicles. I am taking it to the VW dealer for the passenger bag recall this week and will have them check it out. Does anyone have experience on what this could be, and potential cost? I also ordered a new key cut from VW to see if this will solve the issue.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Does putting a slight pressure with turning the steering wheel one way or the other a touch help while attempting turning the key?

I've had cars where sometimes if the wheel was in a certain position with the steering lock...it would have a lot of pressure on the
mechanism...and key would feel jammed.

Also...if it's not the original key - maybe it was cut poorly (and/or is worn?).

I do not know if any VW's have known issues with steering locks or ignitions though sorry.

·
Registered
17,692 Posts
On the previous generation New Beetle's; we have seen worn ignition locks/tumblers and the column lock, will wear, causing a jamming issue. I had my ignition key lock, wear and start jamming; a new tumbler fixed that. For some reason, the later New Beetle's; the latter years, for some reason we have had many, have to replace the steering column lock jam, from being worn, replacement was the fix.

This is the first, I have heard on the 2012+ models but VW's definitely, have a history of this problem. As noted, the key lock or steering column lock; is typically the issue, replacement the fix.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.