VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know what the deal is, passenger side door will not open with either keyfob. Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

·
Registered
15,149 Posts
Does, it open; from the inside, unlock button, pulling the release lever or outside, using the lock, inserting the key? Any history: on the problem, is this the original key fob, replacement or what is the functionality, on the drivers side (does the key fob; open the drivers side ok)? Do you have a vw scan tool; to check for trouble codes?

Common issues, tend to narrow down to (mechanical or electrical problems): wiring harness breaks in the flex area, killing power to the door, disabling the door functionality, key fob switches dirty, etc. ; mechanically: a bad door lock module, binding or broken door handle internals, etc.

Note: the passenger side door: require you to double press, the unlock button; once unlocks the drivers side and twice, opens the passenger side. This is the factory default; as, it provides security, in a scenario, say a assailant attempts to get in your passenger side door without your permission.

Give us more info; some history of the problem and anything, that you have tried, etc. Try to the double depressing of the unlock button; in case, you only pressed it once and we can go from there. Thanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does, it open; from the inside, unlock button, pulling the release lever or outside, using the lock, inserting the key? Any history: on the problem, is this the original key fob, replacement or what is the functionality, on the drivers side (does the key fob; open the drivers side ok)? Do you have a vw scan tool; to check for trouble codes?

Common issues, tend to narrow down to (mechanical or electrical problems): wiring harness breaks in the flex area, killing power to the door, disabling the door functionality, key fob switches dirty, etc. ; mechanically: a bad door lock module, binding or broken door handle internals, etc.

Note: the passenger side door: require you to double press, the unlock button; once unlocks the drivers side and twice, opens the passenger side. This is the factory default; as, it provides security, in a scenario, say a assailant attempts to get in your passenger side door without your permission.

Give us more info; some history of the problem and anything, that you have tried, etc. Try to the double depressing of the unlock button; in case, you only pressed it once and we can go from there. Thanks.
billymade to the rescue again. I feel like a fool, I'm so paranoid of something going wrong with this car, I'm over thinking. Press the unlock twice, voila, it opens. TO redeem myself, I went home and changed the front rotors and pads, easy peasy. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Don’t feel to bad, I read about the guy who bought his first vw and it had no reverse, 5 spd manual. He drove it for 3 months like that being carful not to get into situations where he needed to use reverse. Finally he asked on the forum and someone asked him if he pushed down on the stick and pulled it toward his leg.

He came back ,to his credit , with his hat in his hand and his head hanging and confessed that he didn’t realize that’s how it worked and reverse had now magically appeared in his car.
We’ve all been there.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,304 Posts
I had my New Beetle for a few years until I realized you had to hold the trunk button on the fob to get it to open, not just tap it. So I thought the button just didn't work. Definitely happens to us all!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts