VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a regular key for my Bug, but Ive noticed everyone has these switchbalde keys with remote entry and trunk, is there anyway to check if my car had the remote entry option? Ive noticed few sellers on ebay offer uncut remote keys with instructions to program them including my model year.

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
VW says that switchblades do not work on 1998s, ya gotta get the $150 separate remote from VW and get the dealer to program it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I assme my 98 Bug has the receiver for keyless entry , but all I need is just the flip key and get it programmed?

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
This is where I got lots of conflicting info.

VWoA rep researched it and called me back, said all you can get is the banjo FOB for a 98 and that the switchblades use a newer and different RDIF-based remote that isn't compatible with the 98s.

Two dealers told me they can program a switchblade FOB for a 98 and have the blade cut for the car [no immobilizer on this model, so no programming the key].

If you want to try it, I know the parts guy at one dealer who can order it by VIN. The programming will have to be on you, though, I would suspect that the keyless programming instructions in the how-to section would apply for a 1998. Call two or three dealers in your area within say 150mi, and just see what they say and get price quotes. Warning: you'll be shocked. But if the price is right, work with the dealer that you feel was the most inviting and helpful.

·
2,646 Posts
BigRedOne98 said:
I have a regular key for my Bug, but Ive noticed everyone has these switchbalde keys with remote entry and trunk, is there anyway to check if my car had the remote entry option? Ive noticed few sellers on ebay offer uncut remote keys with instructions to program them including my model year.
Remote entry has always been standard equipment on the NB. I first had a '98 with the banjo fob (it is called this due to it's banjo-like shape) and now my '03 with the switchblade key. I am sure I have read threads here where people bought a switchblade on eBay, had the key cut and had it programmed to their car--I just can't remember whether I ever read that done for a '98...

·
back from the beach....
203 Posts
Just my .02, but when I got my 98, I took it to a local VW dealership, I purchased a switchblade key from them and they programmed it for me, and it's been working like a charm ever since. I think that the total came to about $80 bucks.

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
Key + the keyless entry FOB built into the key, OR JUST the key itself? VWoA seems to say that the keyless frequencies that the FOB on the switchblades isn't the same as the 98s and so you can get a key cut for the car but the remote won't work. Please tell me otherwise, and tell me what dealer did this for you because I want to call them & get part numbers and directions for my local dealer.

·
back from the beach....
203 Posts
kcfoxie said:
Key + the keyless entry FOB built into the key, OR JUST the key itself? VWoA seems to say that the keyless frequencies that the FOB on the switchblades isn't the same as the 98s and so you can get a key cut for the car but the remote won't work. Please tell me otherwise, and tell me what dealer did this for you because I want to call them & get part numbers and directions for my local dealer.
Well, all I did was go to a local dealership in Cleveland, OH and asked if I could get a switchblade key for my 98. Dude behind the counter was like, "Gee... never tried it before. Let's experiment". He cut my new switchblade, then went out to my Beetle, and not even 10 minutes later.. (( POOF )) everything was programmed and working as advertised. So my 98 is living proof that it can be done without issues. I even have the Alientech window controller installed and my switchblade works with that as well.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ill visit my 'friendly' VW dealer this weekend and see what they got to offer, the ones on eay seem to be fairly priced, is it possible to cut the VW key outside dealer shop?

·
Wee more cowbell
242 Posts
can you get the FCC ID or the VW part number? I want to do this BAD!

Brian

Gruven_98 said:
Well, all I did was go to a local dealership in Cleveland, OH and asked if I could get a switchblade key for my 98. Dude behind the counter was like, "Gee... never tried it before. Let's experiment". He cut my new switchblade, then went out to my Beetle, and not even 10 minutes later.. (( POOF )) everything was programmed and working as advertised. So my 98 is living proof that it can be done without issues. I even have the Alientech window controller installed and my switchblade works with that as well.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Alright,

I have been researching here and TDIClub about this issue. I have read that a switchblade remote can be programed to a 1998 by people who did it and ebay vendors. Now the dealer ($154.00), World-Impex ($127.00), and Keylessride ($144.85) only referances the banjo remote (3B0 953 252). So to clear this up once and for all I am going to take one for the club and try it. The Ebay vendors are saying that

Part #: HLO 1JO 959 753 F
FCC#: NBG 8137 T
Can#: CAN 26941021185A
Make#: HELLA SFA 008 137-60

Will work for a 98-2001 Beetle. There has been no variance on this.

I bought one for $36 including shipping. I will let you know if it programs or not.

·
Wee more cowbell
242 Posts
LOL, I just ordered a remote last night and am going to try the same thing. just need a blank key, and a cut.

·
Wee more cowbell
242 Posts
nope. the one i got was buy it now. I did find a guy outa china that's selling two blank blades for 10 dollars shipped. I have a friend in the parts department at my local dealer, so I should be able to get the cuts done for cheap

·
Registered
106 Posts
Great! I have yet to bow to the Stealership (I bet it is nice to be on the inside).

I hope it works for both of us. Did you get the same FCC# as I?

·
Wee more cowbell
242 Posts
yeah, that's the FCC that is for a '99, and the '99's are the most similar to ours... so it should work.

·
Wee more cowbell
242 Posts
IT WORKS!!!! I got my remote in the mail the other day. programmed it according to instructions posted on the vortex, and the remote works. I get my blanks soon, so the key does not work, but that's the easy part.

The remote part number is: HL0 1J0 959 753 F
FCC ID: NBG 8137 T

To program:
Insert one key into the ignition. turn it to the on position (do not start car).
insert second key into drivers side door (i did such with the door still open).
hold the key in the lock position. Press the lock button on the new remote for two seconds. release and press again.

TAA DAA!!!!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.