NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my 98 beetle to the VW shop on Tuesday. They tell me that my remote is dead, and that I have to buy a new one. They will order me one for $159.00. I thought I remembered reading on here that you could purchase them somewhere else for a much more reasonable price. Can someone fill me in? While I was there, I had to have the oil pan replaced. Supposedly when the oil was being changed, the bolt was tightened to tightly and it was stripped. ????? So there went $290.00. That was for the pan, the labor, and changing the oil. Add that to the new set of tires that I had put on last week, and whew Christmas funds are dwendling rapidly. Oh yeah, my husband and I were able to change the bulb ourselves. Thanks for the directions!!!!

Thanks for the replies

Amy
1998 New Beetle

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
Did someone else change your oil, or did you? If it was the dealer or quick-lube, then they should eat the cost of the new pan.

Check eBay for used and new remotes. There are quite a few of them on there. :)

-Des

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have only owned this bug about a month. This is the first time that I have had the oil changed. Unfortunately, I guess it was that way when I bought it. Does anyone have a particular site on the internet to order the remote from? Some place you would suggest?

·
ToD Maiden Voyager
3,409 Posts
amy,

des is right on----i'd push hard to have the dealer/lube place eat the cost of the new pan and everything else...

just wondering...did the dealer try new batteries in the remote???

if you have to get another key, ebay's a good option.

another org member(don't remember, but i think dnyed or pixelnexus) suggested another source: keylessride.com

i got a brand new remote at a reasonable price...they supply programming instructions, and programming the remote was painless.

wcj

·
Premium Member
985 Posts
I bought mine off of Ebay, I think I paid $85 for it; I wanted a new one so I paid a little more. The used ones were about $10-15 or so cheaper. I bought from Mark (ebay seller ID is "mykeyless") and would buy from him again if I ever needed another remote. The dealership cut the key blank for $35, so altogther it set me back $120, but they wanted $225 for a new one.

Good luck with your key!

·
Just Bugged
61 Posts
Nice site Thanks!!!!! Even though I have both our remotes It's nice to know where to get the battieres and replacements.

BTW- how do you get the batteries out of the remote????:confused:

warren said:
amy,

des is right on----i'd push hard to have the dealer/lube place eat the cost of the new pan and everything else...

just wondering...did the dealer try new batteries in the remote???

if you have to get another key, ebay's a good option.

another org member(don't remember, but i think dnyed or pixelnexus) suggested another source: keylessride.com

i got a brand new remote at a reasonable price...they supply programming instructions, and programming the remote was painless.

wcj

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
KansasDiesel said:
Nice site Thanks!!!!! Even though I have both our remotes It's nice to know where to get the battieres and replacements.

BTW- how do you get the batteries out of the remote????:confused:
You pull it apart. ;) The batteries are in the remote portion, under the back cover.

-Des

·
Premium Member
985 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts