VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 1999 VW beetle for my daughter and it only came with one key and no key fob or remote. Its a pain for her to always have to manually lock or unlock the doors with the key when getting out or getting in. ( since you can't just lock it and shut the door.) The car came from a dealership and so they didn't know if there were any other keys or remotes. Is there a way to tell if the car ever had keyless entry on it and then all I would have to buy is another remote instead of the entire new keyless system. Thanks for any adivce.

Andy

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
All New Beetles have a keyless system. The '99s don't have an immobilizer so that will reduce the cost and complexity of what you need to do. You can buy remotes on ebay (be sure to by ones compatible with a '99) with a blank key and then have your VW dealer cut the key. My dealer charged me $20 to cut one for me.

Since you have one working key and not two, you will need to get VCDS software for $99 and a USB-OBDII cable (again, ebay is good here) or else have the dealer program the car to your new remotes. They may charge more than the software would cost.

Look in the links in my post here for more info:

http://newbeetle.org/forums/questions-issues-concerns-problems-new-beetle/59914-key-question.html

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
The remote part numbers compatible with a '99 are:

1J0 959 753 F

and

1J0 959 753 T

You can choose whichever style you like.

·
My other VW is a VW
141 Posts
VW keys, one of my favorite subjects.

Correct the 99 Beetle should not have an inmobilizer so you shouldn't have any programming issues.
The 1J0-959-753T remote would be correct for the 99 since it is the oval button design.

eBay can be your friend but be warned I will not cut any keys at my store that are not mine. The eBay keys are a different material and destroy the $85 cutting bit on my machine. Call your dealer before you buy an aftermarket key.

If you have a key and have the dealer make a duplicate remote key it is pretty easy to program the remote as long as your drivers door lock and cylinder are working correctly. YouTube it.

Hope that confusion helps a bit.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,417 Posts
Sidewinderkey.com is also an option. They will cut keys based off of your VIN. We've had a few made through them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts