NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My keyless entry stopped working out of the blue the other day. The car's battery is relatively new and it's working fine. Voltage levels are normal. The fuses are all fine. I replaced the batteries in both remotes. It just doesn't work. Anybody had this happen or have any insight for me?:(

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
Have you tried resetting/reprogramming the remote?

From the owner's manual:
If your vehicle will not unlock using the remote control, it could be that the code for the control unit and key needs to be reset. This can occur if you frequently use the remote control while standing outside of the effective range.

If this happens, then you need to reset (synchronize) the remote control.

Resetting the key

Note
You have only 1 minute to reset the remote control

1. Press button 1 or button 3 one time for one second. The vehicle remains locked. The control unit recognizes only one key code via the master key.
  2. Lock or unlock the vehicle with the master key.
The resetting procedure is now complete.

The key code is part of the master key. When you insert the master key, a new code is created between the control unit and the key.
and there's also the manual method:
Programming the remote control
  1. Insert the master key into the ignition lock and switch on the ignition (don't start the engine!)
  2. Lock the vehicle from the outside manually using the second master key or valet key.
  3. Press button 1 or button 3 on the remote control one time and then wait at least 2 seconds.
  4. Press either button once again one time
  5. Switch off the ignition and remove the key from the ignition lock.
The manual programming procedure is complete. The remote control is functional again.

Notes
  • You have only 30 seconds to perform steps 2 through 4.
  • Each new key must also be programmed as described here

·
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried the reset method but it still doesn't work. I don't wanna spent tons of money at the dealer for something stupid like this. The car works fine otherwise . I just have to actually stick my key in the door hole now to lock or unlock it. What an inconvenience:p The worst part is I'm so stuck in the old habit that I walk away and try to lock the car and I have to walk back now. And the passenger side doesn't even have a key hole.....GGGGRRRRRR!!!!!How did people manage back in the day? I bet they had really big and well developed finger muscles from all of that manual turning to unlock/lock things.

They invented garage door openers but I'm surprised they don't have keyless entry for front door locks to houses yet.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Find someone in your area with vagcom and ask them to program the remotes for you....or buy the software/cable yourself

·
2015 Acura TLX
5,429 Posts
"How did people manage back in the day?"

Are you kidding! How about back in the Stone(d) Age before we had TV remotes. Either you watched the same channel all night or you got the someone to change the channel for you and had them stand there until you decided that it was worth watching...

·
Nerds On Site
32 Posts
Hey i have the same problem in my 98 TDI but my issue is that i got one key when i bought the car, and it has the remote before the flip key ones. And my key is the valet key??(has a wrench on it) I bought the car and it didn't work but not too sure what last owner did or didn't do, any suggestions as to how to program this one?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
hygieneboy said:
I'm surprised they don't have keyless entry for front door locks to houses yet.
Ohhhhh... they're out there. You can get 'em if you really want 'em. Most people are a little reluctant to adopt the technology for the house, though. Tends to give folks the perception that the house isn't as secure as it would be otherwise.

Nerd said:
Hey i have the same problem in my 98 TDI but my issue is that i got one key when i bought the car, and it has the remote before the flip key ones. And my key is the valet key??(has a wrench on it) I bought the car and it didn't work but not too sure what last owner did or didn't do, any suggestions as to how to program this one?
I'm confused. The valet key doesn't have a remote. It's a manual key.

The reset process for all remote keys, though, is about the same as what's described above, AFAIK. Probably is... did the 98 even have keyless entry?? That, I'm not sure about.

·
Nerds On Site
32 Posts
Ya its got a remote that came with the car, the old owner said its just dead, Its the same remote that Crazy_Mofo posted here

Ideas?

Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts