NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I read all the information at the sidewinder website and I'm still not sure what I need. I have 2 keys both the flip up versions. One works perfectly and the other unlocks the door, trunk and everything except for turning the engine one. The guy I bought it from said the dealer told him the chip was bad in one. Does that mean I have to get 2 new keys for them to work, or can I reprogram the one or what? It's a 2000 GLS 1.8T. Any help is awesome.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
I would ask the dealership if its possible to buy just the chip. Its really easy to assemble the key yourself if they will sell you the chip.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
The problem is matching the key to the immobilizer. The dealer is about the only way to do that, without buying a bunch of software (you'll need VAG-COM, as well as VAG-TACHO).

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmm. Ok. I wonder if it's possible that the chip in the messed up one isn't messed up after all. Could I try and reprogram the car to it? Without messing with the immobilizer or the other key?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
762 Posts
Immob started with the 2000 year models. The dealer doesn't sell just the "chip".

In order to do key adaptations, you MUST have the PIN for the Immobilizer system. Without the PIN, there is no way to add keys to the car.

Ross Tech's Wiki website has info on doing key adaptations:

General Immob info:
Immobilizer - Ross-Tech Wiki

Key Adaptation for the car in question on this thread:
Immobilizer II Key Matching (Cluster) - Ross-Tech Wiki

There is a video at the bottom of the page from the second link showing how to do the key adaptation.

Now on the Immob 2, the chip that is in the key is not locked down to any given car. So with that being said, you could get a key from a 2000 or 2001 Jetta, Beetle or Golf and use the chip out of it (or swap the blade over), but you would still have to do the key adaptation.

So how do you get the PIN? The dealer can't get it for you, they simply do not see that info and haven't for over 8 years now. A good automotive locksmith can pull the pin out via the dataport and adapt the keys for you, or give you the PIN and you can do it yourself with VCDS.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So if I follow, buy a new clear key flipper with chip, switch out the key for mine, take it to someone with a vag com and program my keys with the car, and I should be good.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
That should work as long as you have the PIN for the immobilizer like Pencilneck said. You will have to do two separate procedures with VAG-COM to program the door locks and the immobilizer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts