VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2003 Beetle GLS convertible. It only came with one key, the one for the ignition and the door. I need to get another key and they are expensive. Can I buy a blank one off of EBay and take it to a locksmith? Would this be any cheaper?

Also, does anyone know if this car would have come with a remote to unlock the doors and open the trunk?

Finally, it did not come with the key that fits the glove box/console box/ and door to lock the trunk access on the drivers side door. Do I have to go to the dealer for this, and any idea how much it would cost.

Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
53 Posts
I don't know how all that works. My manual says in order to get a replacement key, you have to have the original key tag that came with the car. I don't know if you can get a new one with a bill of sale or not. I just bought my 2003 too, so I also am wondering

·
Lolita IS my WORLD....
109 Posts
I know i called dealer and they said they need proof of ownership, i.e. title or registration would suffice. Hope this helps ;)

·
5/23/10 <3
11,417 Posts
sidewinder key sells keys. they cut based off of the VIN so you can get the master key made. And yes, it would have come with 2 fobs originally I believe.

The biggest challenge is going to be matching the key to the immobilizer. You need VAG-TACHO and VAG-COM to do it. So if there is anyone around you with those, you can get it done. Not sure if the dealer will match keys they don't cut. But you could ask.

·
T.O.D.7 Will U be there?
869 Posts
Sounds like you have only the VALET KEY.

Smiley bug- Can you elaborate on the 'sidewinder key' info....is there a link you could post?
I too need an additional key and fob.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So one key should work for all the different locks in this car? The ignition key will not even fit into the other locks.

Sorry that I put this question in the wrong forum. I just bought this car and I have been having so much fun playing around with it I wasn't paying any attention to what I was doing.

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
Welcome to the great and wonderful ORG! Many fantastic cars, people and answers lurk in this great land. If you haven't done so already, take time to fill in your profile and post a few photos so we can ORGle them!!

·
5/23/10 <3
11,417 Posts
Sounds like you have only the VALET KEY.

Smiley bug- Can you elaborate on the 'sidewinder key' info....is there a link you could post?
I too need an additional key and fob.
Link is here: Sidewinderkey.com

We've gotten a few keys from them and they worked fine. We had issues with getting one key to work but their customer service was great getting it sorted out.

So one key should work for all the different locks in this car? The ignition key will not even fit into the other locks.
As stated, you have what's called a valet key. It will work the ignition and door locks but that's it. You need a master key, and that can be cut based off of your VIN. And you can get that as a remote, or as called by many, a fob. Check out the link I posted and you'll get lots of info on the keys.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone. Went to the dealer and asked them. I do have the valet key. A new master cut key is $175 for just the key or $285 for a flip one.

·
T.O.D.7 Will U be there?
869 Posts
Thx for the link SMILEYBUG. GREAT information! I've had ONLY one key since I bought Chelsea 3 years ago. I refuse to pay those ridicules STEALERSHIP prices!

Sidewinderkey.com here I come!!

;)

·
5/23/10 <3
11,417 Posts
Prices are near the bottom of the page.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts