NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
An Air-Cooled Fan, Too!
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh GEEZ, we had our '99 N.B. a month now and wife was adjusting the side mirror and the little know just up and broke off in her hand! Now, we can't adjust the mirrors other than by pressing on them manual, and I'm not sure THAT'S a "good idea" with a remote mirror system. Now, something tells me that this must have happened a few times to others on this forum since the stem part of the know is plastic and probably gets stressed with a lot of use. So, please tell me, is there some way to fix this oneself, or must the dealer do it? :(

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
This is the most broken part on the New Beetle (though oddly I've got a record going, three years and never placed it... I have the smaller black rond plastic knob found on the 99 and later models, not the chrome stick found in the 98s). It's like a $8 part and simple to install, I'd do a search on the old forums for "mirror switch" and see what comes up. I know it's a cheap part and the dealers keep them in stock.

You're bugs been full of problems .. i'm sorry :(

·
An Air-Cooled Fan, Too!
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How about the install?

kcfoxie said:
This is the most broken part on the New Beetle (though oddly I've got a record going, three years and never placed it... I have the smaller black rond plastic knob found on the 99 and later models, not the chrome stick found in the 98s). It's like a $8 part and simple to install, I'd do a search on the old forums for "mirror switch" and see what comes up. I know it's a cheap part and the dealers keep them in stock.

You're bugs been full of problems .. i'm sorry :(
Thanks for the info., but how about the install? Can you elaborate a little on what that entails? If it's simple, I'll just go to the dealer, buy a new one, and install it meself!" :)

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
I've not had to do it, but from what I gathered it's easy to do (I don't think you have to take the door panel off to do it). As I recall, many bought the part and put it on themself. Let me see if I can find a how-to.

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
1998s are the only model to have the directional pad, and it won't retrofit without wiring mods (I tried).

The part itself is around $30 (last I checked), and isn't too hard to swap out of the door panel once you pull it off. :)

-Des

1 - 6 of 6 Posts