NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
beepbeep!
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this. I have a 2008 2.5 gas automatic with about 56,000 miles on it. It was in my garage parked for about a month, it didn't have much gas in it (one notch before the last). Anyhow I took it out tonight and all of the sudden there is this knocking noise.

It is colder now then a month ago, not sure if that has anything to do with it. It happens most often when after I turn and straighten out the wheels, but it also just happens randomly. I can't pinpoint the noise, but it is in the front of the car and can be heard inside and out.

I have a panzer skid plate on it if that might have anything to do with it.

·
Worry less, drive more
4,270 Posts
Check your engine mounts. Is the sound especially noticeable when braking?

·
beepbeep!
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check your engine mounts. Is the sound especially noticeable when braking?
I'm not very car savvy, is that something that easy to look at? It happened a few times while braking, but not really connected, I don't think.

·
Worry less, drive more
4,270 Posts
If your skidplate is off and the car is up, then you should be able to see the mounts. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think there are 3. My car was making a knocking noise last year and I could not figure it out and it just about drove my mechanic crazy. He finally took the skidplate off (I have a dieselgeek), looked at the mounts and one was almost completely falling apart! :mad: The knocking noise had been the engine moving! :mad: Your problem might not be the same, maybe suspension? These cars seem to want to make a weird noise sometimes and it's really nothing, just a body squeak.

·
beepbeep!
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yikes! I forgot to mention in the original post, but that yellow light for the tire pressure is on, but my tires are a pound or two below the recommended pressure. I know in the owners manual it says that light could come on for a variety of reasons :\

·
Worry less, drive more
4,270 Posts
Another possibility is the bushings, they could be wearing out although it seems a little early for a 08. :confused: Maybe someone else will chime in. Do you have a competent mechanic you trust?

·
beepbeep!
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, but hes about 100 miles away,and the closest dealer is 20, and theyve abused my car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts