NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all I am new and I have bought recently a new beetle 2001 in very good shape, but since it is the first time I am running a VW, it is an 2.0 automatic but I feel on highway lack of power with a sense of restriction, I know it is an automatic but for a 2.0 I think it should be more powerful, and for your info sparkplugs and tune-up was done, maybe someone can help me. Thanks

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
If the engine is running smoothly and you don't have a check-engine light then there probably isn't anything wrong. With a sedate 115 hp, a 2700+ pound weight and and the automatic transmission it is going to be one of the slowest accelerating cars on the road.

If you would like to get the engine checked, I would go with a compression test and an exhaust backpressure test. Those will detect a worn engine or problem with the catalytic converter that may reduce power without setting an error code.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lack of power on highway vw 2001

Thanks Red 99 for your input I guest your are wright, that might be the case specially with an automatic, and I guess it gets worse when we put the air conditioning on. FYI the catalytic has been changed last month. The only other issue that bothers me is when I release the gas pedal and press it again there is a drop power with the engine (big restriction) and then get back to normal, wandering if it could be a sensor issue, anyway thanks a lot for your help.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts