NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys;

Silly question for anyone out there who cares to answer it.

Yesterday while my fiance was filling up her car she managed to soak herself from her hip to her knee with gasoline, after washing the clothing 5 times (twice regular, once with vinagre, once with vinagre and baking soda, once again with vinagre) we are unable to get the smell out of her clothes, or out of the washing machine...

Any suggestions? Google had a lot to say but I dont know how well I trust some of the suggestions (Baby oil? soak it in milk?)

Hopefully there are some home mechanics out there that unfortunatly soaked their favorite tooling-on-the car shirt with gas...

·
Super Moderator
5,308 Posts
It's an old house wives tale but I've hear that a match will do wonders to gas soaked clothing. :lol:

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
Sorry Jamess fiance, your clothes area a goner. (you cannot ever remove skunk, either. trust me on this.....)

·
Oh noooooooo!
1,052 Posts
dnyed said:
Sorry Jamess fiance, your clothes area a goner. (you cannot ever remove skunk, either. trust me on this.....)
I hate to say it too but your never going to get the smell out. The same thing happened to me a few months ago and no matter how many times I washed my shirt I could not get the smell out. I tried soaking it in milk, Febreeze, Dryel, washing it about 100 times, and nothing worked. I ended up throwing it out.:(

·
Premium Member
3,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alan From NYC said:
Oh well, so much for my Febreze suggestion.

On the plus side, now you know what to get your fiancee for Christmas.
Yeah... that was one of my first thoughts ;)

·
Premium Member
3,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yellowherbie said:
Borax. Every guy should own a box of it. Every woman should know what Borax can and cant do.
ummm....

Whats borax? is it a comercially available cleaner? who makes it?

Google tells me all kindsa neat things about how its found in a lake in peru...

·
Your mileage may vary
7,566 Posts
CrazyJames said:
ummm....

Whats borax? is it a comercially available cleaner? who makes it?

Google tells me all kindsa neat things about how its found in a lake in peru...
Actually, the name of the product is "20 Mule Team Borax." It's been a laundry additive for a long, long time.

http://www.dialcorp.com/index.cfm?page_id=55

·
So over it!
8,050 Posts
Thanks Alan.. Im at work, and Im way to busy to sit on my rear end. The ER is so busy. Gee.. arent people safe today? Its a holiday.

CJ- dont you guys have the gas pump's that have a guard on them that stop the gas from coming out ?

·
Premium Member
3,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes I believe that we do have those guards..

However if I understand what happened, the nozzle actually flipped out of the car?

·
big poster turned lurker.
9,487 Posts
I did that a few years ago, but with diesel (yeah, who else right?). Boy, did it smell horrendous. I got it all over my favorite jacket.

I feared it would never come out, but I had it dry cleaned, and viola, good as new.

·
<-----No More Beetle :(
18,312 Posts
squeebug said:
It's an old house wives tale but I've hear that a match will do wonders to gas soaked clothing. :lol:
:rotfl:

Yep! Borax.

·
Poopship Destroyer
12,736 Posts
CyberGreenBaby said:
:rotfl:

Yep! Borax.
Maybe someone should write in here how someone should use borax. I haven't even seen the stuff since i was a kid and that was when we had the powder hand soap at school. Being that i am newly single and newly living on my own without a female influence in my home...i could use some pointers. And i tend to be around gasoline myself with my lawnmower and stuff and this could be helpful...especially if i start Beetle mods and have an oopsy.

·
18,312 Posts
FineExampl said:
Maybe someone should write in here how someone should use borax. I haven't even seen the stuff since i was a kid and that was when we had the powder hand soap at school. Being that i am newly single and newly living on my own without a female influence in my home...i could use some pointers. And i tend to be around gasoline myself with my lawnmower and stuff and this could be helpful...especially if i start Beetle mods and have an oopsy.

In Regular Wash:

Add ½ cup of 20 Mule Team® Borax to each wash load along with the recommended amount of detergent. For large capacity and front-loading machines, add ¾ cup.
Pre-Soaking Stains:

Add one tablespoon of 20 Mule Team® Borax per gallon of water or ½ cup in washer. Pre-soak for at least 30 minutes before washing.
Hard Water:

Got hard water? 20 MULE TEAM® BORAX works great as a water conditioner, helping your detergent to work more effectively. Add ½ cup of 20 MULE TEAM® BORAX along with your regular laundry detergent. You'll get clean, fresh smelling laundry.
Delicate Hand Washables:

Dissolve ¼ cup of 20 Mule Team® Borax and 1 - 2 tablespoons detergent in a basin of warm water and soak them for 10 minutes. Rinse in clear, cool water, blot with a towel, lay flat (woolens) or hang to dry (away from sunlight and direct heat).

·
18,312 Posts
FineExampl said:
1st tip from a female...don't use that word. :goodjob:

:p

1 - 20 of 22 Posts