VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drove my car back from Oregon and the car started to overheat. I took a look at the water levels and everything looked ok, but I still needed to drive for another few hours and had no way home. Long story short right when I got home the engine started to smoke. I took a look under the hood and I know it's not the coolant expansion tank or a blown head gasket. It only has 35000 miles on it and I just can't seem to find the problem. Thanks for all your help!

·
5/23/10 <3
11,415 Posts
My guess is the water pump. Even though it only has 32k on it, I'm sure ti en has worn out the pump. The timing belt should be done as well.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
Was it smoking as in smoke---Or steam?

If I can suggest having someone do a pressure test on the cooling system and finding out if there is a leak in the system and where--a pressure test in some cases can point to the right direction.

As for other possible causes? There are of course varying degrees of problems. It could very well be the water pump, and yes--Head gasket can also be suspect. It's impossible to tell without doing detailed systematic troubleshooting.

I would start with a pressure test on the cooling system and see if a) the system holds pressure. b) The system drops in pressure=fluid loss at some point.

I would also recommend full inspection of the thermostat and water pump. Water pump is highly suspect in why it would overheat, as it's my understanding they used a plastic impeller pump. If it's smoking or "Steaming" that points towards something letting loose that a pressure test might help pinpoint.

S-

·
Registered
100 Posts
I will bet the water pump let go. The impeller is plastic an will self destruct. Replace with a metal impeller pump. Here is a picture of what mine looked like.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts