VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey! I haven't been on here lately, because Delly has been amazing! That, and we haven't really had much rain...We had a downpour this morning while I was at work and I got into Delly to soaking wet floorboards and a wet headboard on the drivers side, later found that the passenger floor board is also slightly wet. We snaked the sunroof drains last year when the headboard was wet on the passenger side and found nothing, so we didn't try again, we also just took off the plastic cover that's under the windshield wipers, and found a bunch of leaves and dirt, and unclogged those drains, not sure if that helped anything. I was just wondering if anyone had any other ideas, because I'm worried that if she keeps leaking I'm going to have to sell her before it becomes a bigger issue :/ Thanks in advance <3

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just had the windshield replaced when I got her, so, WOAh 2 years ago. I guess I will call the place that did it and see what they can do. Thank you.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just went back to the glass shop that replaced my windshield, he said it isn't that, but possibly my sunroof, I have snaked the drains already so i know that it drains. It might be the seal around the sunroof, but im not sure how much that would possibly cost. From what the glass guy said its a pain in the ass so he wont touch it, i either have to go to a body shop or the dealer. Floorboard is still soaked with a puddle of water, havent had nice enough weather to dry her out yet :/

·
Registered
128 Posts
It is quite likely the sunroof drain, I just had to do this on my car. I was told by a factory trained VW mechanic that this is what they did at the dealership.

You need to remove the top panels of the dash and the side A pillar trims. At the base of the windshield (on the inside) you will see the sunroof drains where they come out of the A pillar and into a rubber boot. Remove the tube from the boot, water will probably go everywhere. Then take some needle nose pliers and remove the boot. Clean it and then cut the flapper valve ends off the boot so water can run out of the boot. They can stick closed and cause water to back up in the tube. Then reinstall the boots using a screwdriver if necessary. Reconnect the drain tubes and you should be good to go. You should also do the same to the rear drain tubes.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We already snaked the rear drains and found nothing, Im not even sure i can take all that apart myself. Any idea how much it would cost to take to a dealer?

·
Registered
128 Posts
We already snaked the rear drains and found nothing, Im not even sure i can take all that apart myself. Any idea how much it would cost to take to a dealer?
It really is not that hard, but if you haven't done it can be intimidating. No idea on the dealer charge, maybe 1 or 2 hours labor?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do you know if there are any DIYs on here? It might even be to much for me to do myself. But i need to figure out something...The water is baaaad and i really dont know what else to do :/

·
Registered
128 Posts
I found this thread: http://newbeetle.org/forums/technical-how/13581-winterize-sun-roof-drains.html

Look at the 7th picture. See the red tube where it goes into the black boot? I couldn't find a good picture of the boot, but this should do.

That is the boot. It drains into the well under the windshield. If you pull off the hose and water comes out, you found your problem. The water is not going through the flapper valve on the other side of the boot. It can get clogged and won't open to let water out. Remove the boot. Take a knife, razor blade, scissors or whatever and cut off the valve so water can flow right out the tube without restriction. That should fix your problem. And don't pull on red tube too hard. You don't want to pull the other end out of the sunroof.

·
Registered
875 Posts
My dealer is $150-250. If your headliner is wet then it has to be the sunroof, if it has been awhile since you snaked the drains them they could have clogged again or worked loose.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What happens when I have been up since 4am for work? I get adventurous and decide I can probably get to the drains. Well I did, and there was some dirt in them but no water everywhere, no sign of a blockage, just some dirt...So I'm not sure what do do next...I am sad to say that this has made me decide that it's time to sell or trade-in Delly, and get something newer because I think shes getting to the point that I can't fix everything. She is awesome and I will cry when i have to sell her, but it needs to happen before we get more rain...to many leaks from all over :/

·
Registered
8 Posts
It is quite likely the sunroof drain, I just had to do this on my car. I was told by a factory trained VW mechanic that this is what they did at the dealership.

You need to remove the top panels of the dash and the side A pillar trims. At the base of the windshield (on the inside) you will see the sunroof drains where they come out of the A pillar and into a rubber boot. Remove the tube from the boot, water will probably go everywhere. Then take some needle nose pliers and remove the boot. Clean it and then cut the flapper valve ends off the boot so water can run out of the boot. They can stick closed and cause water to back up in the tube. Then reinstall the boots using a screwdriver if necessary. Reconnect the drain tubes and you should be good to go. You should also do the same to the rear drain tubes.
THANK YOU FOR THIS REPLY. I've had similar issues, but was met w/ a TERRIBLE mold bloom after the car had sit in my parents' driveway for almost 2 months. Once it stops raining here, I'm cutting those stupid tube ends.:eek:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tried to see if i had fixed the leaking by cleaning all the drains from the sunroof and under the windshield. I ran water over the problem spots and got nothing so i was really excited, then my mom saw little drips coming through the driver side rear window, i had her stop and let me get into the car to see if i could figure it out, she was pouring water on the car, then WOOOOSH! a **** ton (is that a proper measurement?) of water came into the window...Im still not sure where it came from. All the drains are clear, and that wasnt one of my original leak spots. So now the question is where could the water be coming from? it came in from between the plastic panel and the window, and it was a **** ton of water, more than my one towel i had could handle...at all...UGGH maybe this is her telling me she knows i have been looking at newer cars...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well problem solved! All leaks are now fixed! Ended up spending the afternoon with my mom pouring water into the drains and watching it come out, like it should...then all of the sudden water in the window. Turns out the little ends on the rear drains aren't letting enough water out and it was over flowing over the edges of the trough of the sunroof. So i cut the little black ends of the drains so more water could flow, and it worked! No more water in the windows. And the other drains fixed the other issues :) So YAY! she is all fixed and clean now :) Still decided its probably time to sell, and get something newer while i dont have many other bills :/

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts