NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, all. I haven't posted in awhile and am a noob anyway -- so -- this is the first autumn I have had this car, just bought it in July. We had torrential rains for three days and nights straight, and yesterday when I got into my car after all that rain, I found the inside dripping water - the whole inside roof of the car was saturated and it had dripped down onto the floor and saturated the carpet. Not much I could do but curse ... today I get in it and OMG it soured and it smelled SO bad. I heavily Febreezed.

What can I do about this, short of duct taping?

·
Registered
21 Posts
fulltiltredhead said:
Hey, all. I haven't posted in awhile and am a noob anyway -- so -- this is the first autumn I have had this car, just bought it in July. We had torrential rains for three days and nights straight, and yesterday when I got into my car after all that rain, I found the inside dripping water - the whole inside roof of the car was saturated and it had dripped down onto the floor and saturated the carpet. Not much I could do but curse ... today I get in it and OMG it soured and it smelled SO bad. I heavily Febreezed.

Was it leaking in the front or back mostly? The front is a pain in the butt to unclog as you have to remove the dash panels and be a contortionist to remove the nipples that clog up. The back is easy (open the hatch, two solid black covers are at the top on the body, remove them and cut off the nipples.)

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
fulltiltredhead said:

The sunroof is drained by 4 drains, 2 for the front and 2 for the rear. Open rear hatch and check and see if the very ends of the black drains located at either side at the very top of opening are outside the body of the car. There might be a semi-clear plastic piece over the drain ends. Remove these from both sides. If the black rubber drain ends are not out, pull out carefully. These drain exits for the rear must be fully outside the body or you will continue to experience water leakage. A service tech. can un-plug all 4 drains by applying compressed air from the outside of drain into the sunroof. This works only for the rear drains unless you remove the inner wheel liners from the front wheels. The front drains exit behind the wheel liner and once removed the front drains can be opened by blowing compressed air into the drains exit up into the front sunroof drains. Reverse flow compressed air blowing is the best for unclogging the drains. You really do not want to blow any bits that are blocking the drains further into the drain systems. The front drains starting point is very hard to see and locate. Care and caution should be used when doing this to prevent any of the drain tubes from being blown off the inside connections. Also, parking on an incline can cause an overflow prob. Always try and park on a level surface esp. when rain is expected. Good Luck, JK

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!

for the explanations. How much do you think I should expect to pay to have the drains cleared? It's beyond what I can do myself (which is exactly nothing when it comes to cars, besides drive them).

·
Beetle Cup racer
567 Posts
Check the tharead I have a pool in my BUG who want to swim it has pics about the how to fix

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
fulltiltredhead said:
for the explanations. How much do you think I should expect to pay to have the drains cleared? It's beyond what I can do myself (which is exactly nothing when it comes to cars, besides drive them).
I would guess the labor would be half an hour. One hour is way too much time for this easy task. Basically, all you are using from the dealer is a tech. and their compressed air. Now, if the front drains need to be blown out from the exit points, after trying to blow them out from above, expect to pay for 1 hours labor as the front cowl has to be removed...JK

1 - 7 of 7 Posts