NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By chance does anyone know a reputable place to get LED bulbs for interior lights and license plates lights for a 2000 VW Beetle Bug. The OEM bulbs inside appears to be very dim. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
100 Posts
TM Tuning (TM Tuning | auto performance | tuning parts | oem | aftermarket parts) has been a popular source of LED-based replacement VW lamps. Be certain to consult with the folks at TM Tuning about their CANbus modules, which have to be used in concert with any LED-based replacement bulbs, since you will find an error message in the ECU once you have installed LED bulbs. This error display is due to the different wattage of the LED bulbs compared to the stock incandescent bulbs (the LED-based bulb replacements pull significantly less current than the OEM bulbs; this difference is detected by the ECU as an error condition). The TM Tuning CANbus module suppresses the error message in most VW vehicles. :cool:

Good luck!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Didnt think beetle's required Canbus modules as they are not Canbus ?

Got Led Number Plate / Sidelights and interior lights in mine without issue ..

TM Tuning (TM Tuning | auto performance | tuning parts | oem | aftermarket parts) has been a popular source of LED-based replacement VW lamps. Be certain to consult with the folks at TM Tuning about their CANbus modules, which have to be used in concert with any LED-based replacement bulbs, since you will find an error message in the ECU once you have installed LED bulbs. This error display is due to the different wattage of the LED bulbs compared to the stock incandescent bulbs (the LED-based bulb replacements pull significantly less current than the OEM bulbs; this difference is detected by the ECU as an error condition). The TM Tuning CANbus module suppresses the error message in most VW vehicles. :cool:

Good luck!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Didnt think beetle's required Canbus modules as they are not Canbus ?

Got Led Number Plate / Sidelights and interior lights in mine without issue ..
I'm interested in doing this too. I searched through this site and there doesn't seem to be many who have swapped out stock bulbs for LEDs. I wonder why? :confused:

·
Registered
20 Posts
I wonder if it has to do with the year. Some of the early 2000's models appear to be OK with adding the LEDs without error.
Could it be the newer models that are not compatible with LED upgrades?

I'm starting to regret purchasing this car. :(

·
1,255 Posts
Replacing your bulbs with LEDs is OK, except for the turn signal lamps. It has been reported here that due to the lesser resistance of the LED lamps tends to speed up the turn signal flash rate or may not function at all. I have never replaced any lamps with LEDs so I cannot confirm this condition with the turn signals. Someone on the org may have. ??

·
Registered
20 Posts
OK, then that should not be an issue as I don't really care about replacing the turn signals with LEDs, just the interior bulbs (doors, headliner, trunk and rearview mirror bulbs). And maybe the reverse lights.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Actually you can just make it by yourself. Gather a breadboard and LEDs and proper resistors that you want from like Digikey, Mouser or somewhere like that and do a simple soldering will be fine. For resistors I think you just wanna 30mA on the LEDs so you are looking at 14V/30mA=0.47k or like 470 Ohm. Don't make too many LEDs on each line(I would vote 3-5). If you want a light to be brighter then make more LEDs on it while vice versa.

·
1,255 Posts
I did something like this on my 03NBC. I wired four 3Volt LEDs in series to 12 volts for under dash lighting. No need for a resistor when wired in series. Single LEDs will require a minimum of 470/510 Ohms. Use a higher value 1KOhm or more for a dimmer light. Under the drivers side, I drilled eight (8) 1/4" holes for LED sockets uniformly spaced in the plastic panel covering the instrument panel to provide light coverage on the floor. On the passengers side I made a aluminum plate with eight (8) 1/4" holes evenly spaced about the width of the glove box and about 2" wide. Painted black. Mounted it using the glove box screws a the bottom. Slightly bent to direct the light toward the footwell. At one time I had posted pictures of this on the .org but I can't find them now.

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
I did something like this on my 03NBC. I wired four 3Volt LEDs in series to 12 volts for under dash lighting. No need for a resistor when wired in series. Single LEDs will require a minimum of 470/510 Ohms. Use a higher value 1KOhm or more for a dimmer light. Under the drivers side, I drilled eight (8) 1/4" holes for LED sockets uniformly spaced in the plastic panel covering the instrument panel to provide light coverage on the floor. On the passengers side I made a aluminum plate with eight (8) 1/4" holes evenly spaced about the width of the glove box and about 2" wide. Painted black. Mounted it using the glove box screws a the bottom. Slightly bent to direct the light toward the footwell. At one time I had posted pictures of this on the .org but I can't find them now.
I think I remember that pic. They were blue, right?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Currently working on a interior LED kits for the hard top models.
Cool! :cool:

Do you have an estimate as to when they'll be available?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but these will be for the rearview mirror, the two headliner domes, the glove box and rear cargo?

Thanks! :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts