VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my wife for a ride in her '03 vert, top down. When we got home I put the top up and the drivers back window started up and then started jerking back down. When I tried to put up the window again it sounded like something was whipping around in the cavity. It appears that the cable broke that puts the window up and down. How hard is it to put a window regulator repair kit in these cars? Local dealership has one for $97.00. Is there any things to watch out for? I have watched a video online but it looked more like he was changing the parts out that were already there but mine has the cable broken.

·
Beetleman
430 Posts
It's not a terribly difficult job but it is time consuming.
You need to disassemble the entire rear seating and side panel areas to access the window assemblies and the windows with the window carriers themselves need to be removed from the car to intall the cable repair kit.

If you are planning to it yourself, I would suggest you do both sides at the same time since you'll have everything disassembled anyway. You might also want to have a Bentley repair manual handy for the specific sequence to properly remove everything without damaging anything in the process.
The one tricky part of the repair is getting the new cable installed on the window carrier pulley. It's a bit tricky unless you have the proper tool but can be done without it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My son came over last night and took it apart. I went to the dealership and got the repair kit ($80.00). It took him 15 minutes to replace the cable and assemble the window back in the unit. 1 hr 15 minutes later we took it out for a ride to make sure there wasn't wind noise. Worked out great. Youtube had a video on how to do it and found the info from a Bentley manual online. The dealership wanted $550.00 to do the job. What a rip off if you can work on them yourself or have a son who can.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Good to hear you got it fixed. I've replaced both front window regulator cables on our NBC and I feel the same way. If you're half way mechanically inclined, you can replace them yourself and save some money. The advent of online forums (like this one) with links to pictures and how-to videos makes jobs like this much easier than the "bad old days" when you only had a crappy Haynes or Chiltons "repair manual" to go by.

I'd personally recommend buying a Bentley repair manual for your car. Not only is it nice to have a copy for yourself (saves time otherwise spent searching the Internet for the relevant info like torque specs for fasteners), but I think it's "the right thing to do". Bentley spends a lot of time and money putting their manuals together, so it seems right to reward them by paying for the info you're using. Sure it's a good deal of money, but in the long run, you're still saving money over paying the dealer every time you use the manual to fix something. I bought mine before changing the timing belt (my father helped out with that one since he has an engine hoist).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts