NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 2004 NB Convertible, and I'd love to be able to carry my bike. I've done my research, and it seems like my only options are hitch based racks or this custom pea-shooter deal.

Here's the problem. I'm a cheapskate. The sheer price of a car bike rack is jaw-dropping. For those prices, I feel like I should put wheels on the rack and ride that instead. On top of that, I would have to buy a trailer hitch that I would only ever use to carry a bike. Now, I have a decent bike, but the combined price of the two rivals the cost of a new bike!

So, are there any other options? I see that the Saria (sp?) site suggests a trunk rack with some sort of adapter that allows it to fit small trunk lids. But I also read reviews saying that the adapter pulls the trunk lid away from the car body.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Actually, I just saw this post:

http://newbeetle.org/forums/new-beetle-convertible/46952-bike-rack-nbc.html#post695594

Is this really okay? If it won't harm the car, this is actually perfect.
Blugg is on the other side of the pond, so that might not be readily available here, but it does look perfect. You could p/m him and see what info he has.

There is a hitch (not the rack, but the hitch) currently running on the Vortex for decent $$$, and the hitch mount is certainly "easy on easy off", with NO chance of doing any damage.

MORAV

·
Registered
228 Posts
I would not skimp on a bike rack, a cheap rack can be a safety hazard... imagine turning a corner with 50lbs hanging off your rear end :D, or blasting down the hwy at 70 mph, you want peace-of-mind with a solid bike rack set-up.

·
Stuck in Massachusetts
38 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts