VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Luv my bug!
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Threw 3 codes this morning..."But of course" I say to myself as I see the CEL come on.

It's been out of the shop 2 whole weeks for a brake booster replacement. They made sure there were no vacuum leaks when they gave her back to me.

This morning I noticed when I started her up cold that her motor fan was on, which I thought was weird. It went off after 30 seconds or so.

It had been doing that when all the vacuum leaks were occurring because the shop didn't know they needed to replace the gaskets when they replaced the brake booster. After I got her back from the shop with the gaskets replaced as they were supposed to have done the first time, the fan wasn't coming on any more on cold starts. Until this morning.

And this morning the CEL comes on and she's thrown these 3 codes:

BPCV N249 P2261

Bank 1: Camshaft A (Intake): Retard Setpoint not Reached (Over-advanced): P0011

Secondary Air Injection System: Incorrect Flow detected: P0411

I was shopping for a replacement car since getting her out of the shop 2 weeks ago, and now I doubt I'll be able to trade her in with the CEL light on with these 3 codes!

The Pontiac Vibe keeps popping back into my head :(:(:(

·
squirreljuice
391 Posts
I had almost the same codes a couple years ago. I had to take it to the stealership where I found out that my camshaft chain tensioner had gone bad and I needed a new one. I had the opposite code of you, I was under advanced. It was a $1300 fix. I hope this isn't what you have, but it was what happened to mine.

As for the incorrect flow detected, I had that code too until I got my ECU tuned. My car did not like having a 3" exhaust installed, and it is still giving me nightmares. I almost regret doing it haha.

And for the final code, have you experienced any rough idle? That code can be thrown by a number of things, such as a vacuum leak causing the diverter valve to not open all the way, or a bad N249 valve, which is the one that tells the diverter to open, or the diverter valve could be sticking or be faulty. Do you have an aftermarket diverter valve, like a Forge? If they don't get maintained, they can stick pretty bad.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The codes sound like you might still have a vacuum leak.The N249 solenoid could be going bad. Its not real common but I have replaced a few over the years. Does the shop you take it to have a smoke tester. It fills the vacuum/intake system of your car with smoke and allows the technician to spot the leaks. Its one of the best ways to troubleshoot a turbocharged engine. The camshaft code could just be the timing belt has stretched over time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts