NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
I like 'em fast! :)
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone like totally scared to let other people besides you or a dealer work on your car?

There is some local guy around town who does a lot of custome work (that looks really bad BTW) and he offered to fix my sunroof at no cost, I just have to get the part.

I'm just kind of scared to come out of there with a headliner that looks like a smurf puked on... :p

What do you think? Should I go for it? The advantage to him doing it and not me is if something goes wrong, it's his problem not mine.

I'm just scared he will hurt my baby. :(

-Ducky

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
Freebie or not: Get it in writing!

(sorry, watching "Peoples Court")

·
Poopship Destroyer
12,736 Posts
I'd NEVER EVER trust anyone with something that serious. Go to an expert man. Save yourself the headache. I've heard horror stories about people having bad sunroof work done. For example having entire interiors ruined from water damage.

I vote no.

john

·
<-----No More Beetle :(
18,312 Posts
DuckyBeetle said:
What do you think? Should I go for it? The advantage to him doing it and not me is if something goes wrong, it's his problem not mine.
Either way it could still end up being your problem. I'm with Deb. Get it in writing!

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
HAHAHAAHAH Dude I wouldn't let the DEALER touch my car. They're such rip-off artists hahaha, hell no. I'd rather let some other shop that's worked on a vw before get my service.

That said, save up for a month and let them set your sunroof. That's a part that not many people have experience with.

·
Poopship Destroyer
12,736 Posts
noR said:
HAHAHAAHAH Dude I wouldn't let the DEALER touch my car. They're such rip-off artists hahaha, hell no. I'd rather let some other shop that's worked on a vw before get my service.

That said, save up for a month and let them set your sunroof. That's a part that not many people have experience with.
Exactly. That's why there are people who specialize in nothing BUT roofs of cars. :)

·
I bleed Burnt Orange!
687 Posts
DuckyBeetle said:
There is some local guy around town who does a lot of custome work (that looks really bad BTW) and he offered to fix my sunroof at no cost, I just have to get the part.
do you mean bad, bad?
or bad, good?

If bad, bad run away. If they guy can't do good work for paying customers, then don't take any free work.

·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dgoldbe2 said:
do you mean bad, bad?
or bad, good?

If bad, bad run away. If they guy can't do good work for paying customers, then don't take any free work.
I mean bad as in really freaking terrible ugliness... I can't even describe some of the work this guy has done. But the problem is, the stuff he has done has nothing to do with stock sunroofs. He does more of the styling and stuff and his work is terrible.

For example, a friend of mine wanted to stick a modified bumper on his car but he was clueless. Well, he took it to this place and the bumper was falling off within the next week. :( Another friend went to get his new hood painted to match, um.... yeah it came out looking like someone took a dwarf and smashed it on the hood causing it to be multicolored ugliness. :eek:

What I need is the headliner taken off and a new sunroof vizor stuck in there. The VW dealer is retarded if they think I'm going to pay $400 for them to do it. The only reason I don't want to touch it is because I would rather someone else screw it up... but I don't want this guy doing it if he plans to do any of his funky stuff to it. ;)

I would love to do it myslef but god only knows where that will lead... :D Plus, if I get the part from VW it's $126, and I would rather not have to buy two because I'm a moron and screwed something up.... :D

-Ducky

·
Banned
2,553 Posts
think of it like a tattoo... you get what you pay for.

why in the world would you let somebody that obviously does shotty work actually do work on YOUR car!?!?!?! i wouldn't even question it myself.

this is why i'm glad i'm one of the few GLSs that don't have a sunroof. SUCKERS! :D

·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Because he "says" that sunroofs are his specialty... the only reason he is doing it for free is because his best friend works with me.

But not to worry! I just got off the phone with my buddy Igor... he said his girlfriend's car had the same problem and he will be happy to do it for me.

My car won't come out looking like a dead turtle! :)

Thanks everyone!

-Ducky

·
strange things are afoot
1,535 Posts
mentalVdub said:
...snippage...

this is why i'm glad i'm one of the few GLSs that don't have a sunroof. SUCKERS! :D
Growler is also one of those rare GLSs' with no sunroof. :)

I certainly wouldnt let him do it, it sounds like you found someone else with some experience to get it done, good for you!

·
<-----No More Beetle :(
18,312 Posts
How could it be a good thing to not have a sunroof? I love mine!

·
Some say............
1,665 Posts
When it all comes down to it, there's only a three people that I actually let work on Elwood aside from my self. At the dealership there's one mechanic who's a pure old school factory trained guy from the air cooled days. There were 2 brothers that worked there too, but the left and opened their own shop and do alot of customizing and performance on their own VWs, so I trust them with all the "upgrades". Then the air cooleds. I have three people there that I trust those cars to aside from myself.

·
Lurker Status Assumed.
858 Posts
CyberGreenBaby said:
How could it be a good thing to not have a sunroof? I love mine!
leaks, extra heat coming thru it, leaks, more mechanical parts that commonly go wrong, leaks, and (some people say) it reduces structural rigidity.

i know for sure no water is coming thru my piece of sheet metal. if it were just a piece of glass surrounded by rubber trim. plus, if my 98 had a sunroof, i'm sure the rubber trim would be hard and cracking (and not water tight) any more.

oh - and i too, Growler and mentalVdub, am a GLS with no sunroof.

</post hijacking>

Ducky -

i wouldnt let that guy touch my car with a ten foot pole. :D

·
That Crazy Belgian Guy
2,816 Posts
Unfortunately, I have 2 left hands, and know nothing about mechanics and technics, so there is no other way for me to go to a dealership to get things done... :(

PS I too have a sunroof, and uses it almost every time when it's dry

1 - 20 of 24 Posts