NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the site and recently purchased LED license plate covers for my bug. The instructions however really suck! I'm aware its going to involve drilling a hole into the bumber for the wires to fit. I'm not thrilled at the prospect of doing it myself. I've taken it to a few shops and they all want to charge between $100 and $200 to install them. http://http://www.jcwhitney.com/skull-license-plate-frame-with-led-lighted-eyes/p2001729.jcwx?TID=8000000&origin=pla&JCW=1&JCW_SRC=PPC&id=11729G&gclid=CNGrgsbz4bYCFcLc4AodhTcAnQ This is what they are, pretty cool. But I'm just not sure what to do now? Any tips or ideas would be appreciated! :confused:
I also wanted to ask about the panzer skid plates from diesel geek, my poor bug lost her skid plate right after I got her when I was leaving the driveway! The plastic looks like it was previously messed up. Anyway how do they hold up? Are they worth the price? Thanks!:eek:

·
All this & I can cook too
482 Posts
Hi Paully - The link in your post is bad, if you can send me a link to the LED item you bought I will take a look at it and see if we can get around drilling holes. I believe it would be a simple matter of tieing into the existing tag light wires and hiding the wires, so drilling mght not be a necessity.

Chef

·
Worry less, drive more
4,270 Posts
Yes the skidplate is absolutely worth it. I installed one after I busted the oil pan (it had nothing to protect it at the time). I used to worry about scraping on driveways or hitting a chunk of ice, or a rock or a dead animal, etc. No more! It's a big relief, especially when I drive through snow and I can't see what's hiding in/under the snow. The only small negative is that after I drive through roads that haven't been plowed (8-10 inches or more), the snow gets caught in between the skidplate and the oil pan. I have to make sure at least some of it melts when it's parked or the whole car will shake during driving.:rolleyes:

·
JYD, Peppy Pepper, Rico,
596 Posts
panzer skid plates from diesel geek

panzer skid plates from diesel geek

Worth the big bucks if you love your beetle. I wish I could afford one, Kerri got one many years ago and loves it alot. We put it on, didn't pop out hole for oil changes so when they are done we drop the plate to change the oil. This means you will have to do it yourself to make sure its done right. In my opion, if you can afford it and you plan to keep your beetle, its worth the time and money. One busted oil pan will be more trouble than the plate. Good luck on your decission.

Marc

·
Blue ones are faster!
201 Posts
I have a Diesel Geek skid plate. It can be a bit of a pain to install, but worth it! The threaded inserts can be a hassle to get in, but I welded them to the sub-frame/chassis. Screw the plastic...get some real protection. IIRC, the knockouts are for the diesel engines, you'll still have to remove the plate to get to the oil filter on gas engines.

·
All this & I can cook too
482 Posts
That tag frame shouldn't be hard at all to wire in, basically you're going to have a hot wire and a ground wire. The trick is to locate where you want to tap the wires into for power, like the wires that run to your factory tag lights. You can look up a diagram online - probably one here somewhere, and then determine where to tap the wires in, then mount the frams and hide the wires. Drilling is not necessarily a need.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks

My panzer plates are on the way, I ordered them two days ago. :D Thanks for all the input guys!
Paully

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
update

The panzer plates are in! :D And I love that I have them and just in time too! I was on my way to work when a truck in front of me had a small brach fall out. I didn't hit it with the tires but I was greatful to have the plates on. Plus I was able to get the plate covers on without much trouble. :cool:

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts