NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98 beetle TDI with a 2 inch lift kit,and was just wondering if there's anyway I could raise it more than that?I live in South Dakota where average snow fall is around 40 inches but there's usually only 6-9 on the ground.
Is there anyone that's done something higher than 2 inches?
What problem do you encounter?If so can I buy some stiffer springs to raise it and if so where do I buy such springs?
Thank!Gid,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
566 Posts
The problem with putting lift kits on vehicles is its not as easy as it sometimes feels. When the vehicle is lifted components on the car are starting to be streched out. I know that when I lifted my truck 3 inches was the max I could do without redoing all of the stearing components and control arms from the axle. Since the beetle has an independent front suspension you would have to have a kit that will reposition all of you stearing components to realign your stearing and drive shaft. Also keep in mind that more lift will not necessarly give you more clearence unless you put on begger tires as well. Hope this helps.
 

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
Joined
·
890 Posts
Photo said:
Also keep in mind that more lift will not necessarly give you more clearence unless you put on begger tires as well. Hope this helps.
This a good point - with your 2 inch lift, is it possible to run taller tires?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How much taller could I go?Also my car has 140.000 miles on it so
the springs are kinda old.Would new spring help out a bit?Thanks in advance.Gid,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
566 Posts
I don't think that getting new springs will give you any more lift although you could try it. As for how much taller of a tire you can get I really can't say. Go down to your local tire shop and ask them. You could also ask the makers of the kit that you have installed now. They will most likely be able to advise the best. One tip I can offer is that you will be able to get a taller tire if you get a narow tire as apposed to a fat one. Having a narrow tire will allow for more clearence when you turn. Let us know what comes of this new mod and post some pics if you do go bigger.
 

·
Cherchez la coeur...
Joined
·
977 Posts
gidb36 said:
I have a 98 beetle TDI with a 2 inch lift kit,and was just wondering if there's anyway I could raise it more than that?I live in South Dakota where average snow fall is around 40 inches but there's usually only 6-9 on the ground.
Is there anyone that's done something higher than 2 inches?
What problem do you encounter?If so can I buy some stiffer springs to raise it and if so where do I buy such springs?
Thank!Gid,
I have only seen one pic of an NB raiesd more than 2", and have no info about the car at all, and I don't have the pic here. Stiffer or taller springs will not help at all with this suspension. You would need taller struts, and then you'd run into unfavorable driveline and steering angles in the newly harsh geometry
Photo said:
I don't think that getting new springs will give you any more lift although you could try it. As for how much taller of a tire you can get I really can't say. Go down to your local tire shop and ask them. You could also ask the makers of the kit that you have installed now. They will most likely be able to advise the best. One tip I can offer is that you will be able to get a taller tire if you get a narow tire as apposed to a fat one. Having a narrow tire will allow for more clearence when you turn. Let us know what comes of this new mod and post some pics if you do go bigger.
The most I think you can get in a tire diameter increase will be about an inch or so. Look in the rear fenderwells, and see how little clearance there is between the tire and the taillight bucket.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top