VW Beetle Forum banner

Lighting Issues

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Fl_bug 
#1 ·
Hello,
I have a 2003, TDI bug. I am always looking for forums that tell me how to fix my car. I've done a good job keeping up with all the maintenance so far. Maybe someone could help me with my lighting problems.
Right now I am having trouble with all of my lights. My headlight, brake light, and bottom front side light are all out (different sides). And my right blinker blinks really fast (all lights blink really fast on the passenger side). So basically I need the whole circuitry of the lighting in the car.
I know how to fix my headlight but I still need to figure out the side front hazard light and the brake light.
Several posts say I need to check all the lights. A while ago when all the lights were working, my blinker was still really fast, and it has been really fast for over a year now. Also one of my brake lights wasn't as bright as the other light for a while. Is this all connected? Could the fast blinking be due to the side hazard light being out?
Please let me know what info you might have for me.

#2 ·
I'm going to go on a limb and assume one of your bulbs has died for your turn signal. Up front, they are double filament so that could get tricky to check. WHat i would do is park and press the hazard switch so all signals flash. Then just walk around the car and inspect all the turning lights. Its much easier to tell when its almost dark out.

I had the opposite problem. THe front turnsignal worked, but it was dead when headlights were on. The "parking light" filament died and the turnsignal one was good.

Good luck and hopes this helps!

#3 · (Edited)
when a bulb is out, it will cause the blinkers to flash very fast. That's the way to tell when you have a light out. And like Fl_bug said, it may just be 1 filament in a 2 filament bulb. So, front and rear blinkers, check parking lights as well as hazard lights. You'll know which one is out and that it should be replaced.

You said your lights have been blinking fast for awhile right? Even when all your lights worked, blinkers, parking, etc? Are you sure you have the right voltage bulb in those sockets? If you have the wrong bulb and it's too low of a voltage, it can cause fast blinking because your car will think that a bulb is out. Hence when you switch to LED lights, you have to get a load resistor so that the low voltage of the LED doesn't make your car think a light is out.

Same thing with a tail light. That's a 2 filament bulb since it serves as the brake and running light at night.

To me, it sounds like you just need to replace some bulbs, doesn't sound like your wiring is an issue. There is a How-To on removing taillights as well as removing headlights and blinker lights.

(The pictures on the headlight removal link are missing so I added this pdf that I found with pictures and instructions as well. Trust me, pictures help!)

Attachments

#4 ·
I'd just like to add that a plunger is VERY essential when trying to remove the taillight assembly!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.