VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I am new here and I hope I have the right thread for my post here. I have a 2006 new beetle. I have had it about 2 weeks so I'm not really sure what I'm doing. Since we brought it home, the only thing we have done is clean it up, checked all fuses, fluids and such. Pulled up the e-brake once and put it back down. Seemed fine. The next day the check engine light, brake light, airbag light and the epc light have all been on and occasionally the fluid level lit will come on but not every day. Also the dinger you hear like the one that you hear if you don't fasten your seat belt, it rings for 20 to 30 minutes non stop when I'm driving. If I stop for a red light, it stops dinging, when I go again, it goes ding again. Can someone please help me figure out how to get this dinger off and tell me how to get the lights off. I have taken it to a reputable garage twice to have a code machine put on it but it does not register anything at all.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
You may need; to have a vw specific scan tool, hooked up to your car to see what is going on, to get a trouble code. It could be a number of problems; sometimes, the switch in the emergency brake, fails causing the chime to come on. This switch; tells the computer the emergency brake is set, so when you drive it will turn the chime on, to warn you. If the car thinks the emergency brake is on; the chime will stay on, until the emergency brake is released but it maybe in your case, the switch is damaged/broken. Thus, the reason it stays on and continues to do so, even though the emergency brake lever is released.

Here is the location of the Parking Brake Warning Switch:

Volkswagen Workshop Manuals > New Beetle L5-2.5L (BPS) (2006) > Brakes and Traction Control > Parking Brake System > Parking Brake Warning Switch > Component Information > Locations

You could remove the switch; test it, replace if bad or spray some contact cleaner, see if that fixes the problem.

There could be other problems; like the speedo clusters, have been to known to fail as well and this is probably, where the source of chime sound, is located. We are speculating at this point; if you want to fix it yourself, you might invest in a vw specific scan tool: check out the vag 401 on amazon and there is the ross tech vcds, which is more expensive.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=automotive&field-keywords=vag+401

Once you get it scanned; post up the trouble codes and we can go from there. Thanks.

PS: If this is beyond your ability or you don't want to mess with it; take it to a independant shop that specializes in VW's or your local VW dealer for repair. In general; we do not recommend the VW dealerships; as they are the most expensive places for repairs and may not repair things well or correctly. This is like anything; some shops/dealerships are great and others are not, from a cost perspective the VW dealerships tend to charge the most. If you want to go the professional repair route; give us an idea, where you live and members in your area, maybe able to recommend a good/reputable VW repair shop.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts