NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The blower speed, temperature, and vent selection knobs in the center console do not light up. I removed the knob from one but couldnt figure out how to get the bulb out. I don't want to break it. Does anyone know how to remove them: is it a simple pull or do you have to twist it or something? Also, do each of the knobs have a seperate light? It looks like they do to me but i want to make sure.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
The bulb behind the fan speed knob does all three. Easiest way to get the bulb out is with a small piece of rubber hose.

-Des

·
Diesel Inside
359 Posts
Anybody know what bulb this is? Can you find it online? Do you have to get it from the dealer, or is it a typical bulb that could be found at an auto parts store?

·
Premium Member
985 Posts
I hope somebody helps you out, 'cause I need to know too!

I learned on the org from Toad a couple of weeks ago how to remove the vent control knob to get at the bulb. I did that okay but also couldn't figure out how to pull the old bulb out (needlenose pliers didn't get it, and I was afraid to break it off). :shy: I was too embarrassed to ask Toad about the bulb, so I still don't have lights. Anyone out there know? Des- do you stick the end of the rubber hose over the bulb and twist, or what? I'm sure it's simple, but I'm not very mechanical and I'm always afraid I'll screw something up! Thanks...

·
Diesel Inside
359 Posts
It took me forever to find this thread as it was with the search. How did you get the fan control knob off? I've tried with my fingers on setting #2 but haven't been able to pull it off.

·
Premium Member
985 Posts
jpdeuce said:
It took me forever to find this thread as it was with the search. How did you get the fan control knob off? I've tried with my fingers on setting #2 but haven't been able to pull it off.

Here's Toad's link to his instructions (I hope the link works)
http://www.newbeetle.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3904

Mine came off with a little tugging and the needlenose pliers (wrapped in some rubbery no-slip stuff so they wouldn't scratch).

·
Premium Member
11,013 Posts
Oyveychris said:
Your bulb might just be loose. I have to "thump" my control panel every now and then, and it lights up as if by magic...:D
Same with mine for the last 3 weeks or so.I have to hit it from underneath.

·
Diesel Inside
359 Posts
deeceedub said:
Here's Toad's link to his instructions (I hope the link works)
http://www.newbeetle.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3904

Mine came off with a little tugging and the needlenose pliers (wrapped in some rubbery no-slip stuff so they wouldn't scratch).
Thanks, that's where i got the tip that it had to be on #2. But it still doesn't say anything about how to get the bulb out or what kind of bulb it is. I'd rather have the replacement bulb already so I can just get it done at once.

·
New Beetle Accessories
1,226 Posts
The bulb pulls straight out, no twisting required. The bulb is a mini peanut bulb that can be purchased from the dealer for about a buck. It's kind of an unusual size so I'm not sure if the auto parts stores carry them or not.

Good luck!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Steps by pic

Thanks to those in the forum who posted how to do this. I try to make my posts helpful and visual...so while doing the repair I made some notes and took some pics. Hope this helps!

Things you will need:

1. Rubber Glove
2. Bent tool (I have no clue what it is called but it worked well with leverage.
3. Needle nose pliers (I found the bent ones worked best)
4. Electrical Tape (for the glove)
5. Replacement bulb ($3.00 @ VW) [Autozone did not have it]

So I noted the bulb breaking posts. I cut the finger off of the rubber glove, folded it over and taped it to the needle nose which added cushion and grip to the needle nose. One finger on each side was too much, it didn't fit and obstructed my vision.

1. Set the heater on 2.

2. Use the pry tool to take off the switch. With the bend in the tool I had plenty of leverage to pop the switch off with minimal effort.

3. Use the needle nose pliers and wiggle the bulb out, this took a little wiggling but minimal force.

4. Replace the Bulb. I used the needle nose to get it into place, and wiggled and pushed until it plugged in. (Minimal Force).

5. Replace the knob.

Enjoy!

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts