NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgot and left head lights on for about 3 hours. Turned them off and now I don't have headlights, turn signals, horn, or power top. Tried disconnecting battery to reset, didn't work. Any thoughts?

·
5/23/10 <3
11,076 Posts
Sounds like it could be your ignition switch. Can you start the car?

·
5/23/10 <3
11,076 Posts
My guess would be ignition switch. Common failure.

·
Registered
12,744 Posts

Here is a diy; on how to replace the ignition switch, be sure to look for melted plugs, wires and terminal ends, while you are in there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Here is a diy; on how to replace the ignition switch, be sure to look for melted plugs, wires and terminal ends, while you are in there.
It runs and drives, there is nothing wrong with the ignition switch. The headlights, turn signals, power top, and horn do not work.

·
Registered
12,744 Posts
The ignition switch supplies power to many different things; it isn't just for starting the car. Historically, we have seen; many times, the switch will get damaged and kill power to a bunch of different accessories, thus the possibility of the switch, wires or plug being damaged/bad. It is not a expensive part and easy to install; so, definitely something to consider and checking or just go ahead, replace it, if all other things seem ok.

Always start with the basics; check for blown fuses, check for power, scan for trouble codes, if you have a vw factory level scan tool, like VCDS by Ross Tech, etc.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The ignition switch supplies power to many different things; it isn't just for starting the car. Historically, we have seen; many times, the switch will get damaged and kill power to a bunch of different accessories, thus the possibility of the switch, wires or plug being damaged/bad. It is not a expensive part and easy to install; so, definitely something to consider and checking or just go ahead, replace it, if all other things seem ok.

Always start with the basics; check for blown fuses, check for power, scan for trouble codes, if you have a vw factory level scan tool, like VCDS by Ross Tech, etc.
I'm trying to find out if there is a main circuit breaker that would control all those features. Key was in my pocket for the two hours that the headlights were left on.

·
Registered
12,744 Posts
Do you have the engine code? "BEV" or "AVH"?

Typical engine code locations:

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Horn not working = bad ignition switch. It is powered directly through the ignition switch. The other things go through several different fuses so that is unlikely to be the problem.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Make sure your battery is fully charged (12.7] v. Then you’re going to have to change the ignition. It’ll take about an hour and those switches are around $20.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts