VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A month ago I felt my front end getting loose and found that my control arm bushings were shot. I replaced both control arms with all new gear..solved that problem, nice tight ride again. Also noticed both trans side cvs were shot but un-affected by it. Three days ago I started feeling a bad clunk while turning in either direction so I replaced both shafts(reman). Still get the clunk so...jack it up and test it in 1st gear, no noise no clunk when turning in either direction, then in reverse same thing but.. in reverse I can stop the driver side wheel from turning and not the passenger side so back to 1st gear, can't stop either wheel from rotating. SO by process of elimination I can only assume that it's probably a problem with limited slip, which is where my mind is right now. 135k on the car/fluid and haven't done a level check yet. Any suggestions?

·
5/23/10 <3
11,415 Posts
Unless you had one installed, or a previous owner did, there is no limited slip in these cars.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
There is no limited slip on these cars, but I believe there is traction control if you have the 1.8. So what is happening is that in reverse the traction control doesn't engage. In first it does so when you try to stop one wheel the brake is applied on the opposite side and prevents you from stopping the wheel. You can switch the traction control off and then you should be able to stop the wheel.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok make of the Beetle. 1999 standard 5 speed, 2.0.

It makes no sense that there isn't some kind of limited slip idea. If you turn right the inner wheel turns less than the outer wheel, so if it isn't a limited slip then what is it? I don't have a traction control button or traction control option. In reverse on the ground I don't seem to bind, but in forward I not only bind but there is a very slight back pressure in the wheel. I' also pretty sure this isn't a strut thing either.

·
Beetle Owner
45 Posts
I think you are getting confused a bit.

What is the question you are actually asking, as at least for me was pretty hard to follow.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
All cars have a differential on the drive axle to all the wheels to turn at slightly different rates to allow the car to go around corners, as you say. The New Beetles have a standard (not limited-slip) differential. See this for a description of a standard differential:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differential_(mechanical_device)

High performance cars or off-road vehicles will sometimes have a limited-slip differential. This still allows some difference in the turning rate of the two wheels, but only a small amount. With this arrangement if one wheel starts to spin the power is applied preferentially to the other wheel, increasing the traction. See this for a description of a limited-slip differential:

Limited-slip differential - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Many new cars have a traction control system. This uses the ABS to apply the brakes to single wheels to accomplish the same thing as the limited-slip differential. In this case, as with 1.8 liter New Beetles, there is a standard differential in the transmission. See this for a description of traction control:

Traction control system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok so on the ground...if I drive in a straight line I don't feel anything wrong unless I tap the throttle then I feel a clunk. When I do a slight turn(less than a quarter on the wheel) there isn't much of a problem but when I do a full right 90 degree turn (or left) the front end seems to bind up and then release jolting the car a bit. It could be ball joints so I am getting a look at them today to eliminate them from the problem. fingers crossed.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,415 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts