VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fear that too many new parts have been thrown on my beetle, no solution ever lasts too long. Now, have it at mechanics who say my ECM is bad... car runs, but limp mode until I hold accelerator down 3/4 way when I start it up... has anyone changed out with used ECM and had it re-flashed?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Why do you think the ECM is bad?

Explain "Limp" mode, this is a very broad and poorly used term.

Often the problem is engine misfiring with loss of power, often it can be a transmission problem with transmission indicator lights.

Need some OBDII data. Trouble codes, Freeze Frame data.

Misfires on these engines can be due to everything from bad spark plugs, coils, vacuum leaks to a weak fuel pump.

Have you pulled the upper portion of the dash to inspect the ECM for rodent damage to the wiring?

Have you pulled the ECM connectors to look for oil or coolant contamination?

See this, not a VW but it can happen to VW's as well -

Fuel injector, possible DME issue? HELP! - E46Fanatics

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
limp mode= no acceleration past about 5 mph...

Codes say internal error and throttle body accuator problem... has new throttle body/crankshaft sensor/camshaft sensor/ O2 sensor/MAF sensor/ ignition coils & plugs/battery....

One mechanic says bad ECM.... other says no. short in system somewhere,had it in for 6 weeks last Christmas... $1,200. Dr. bill...???????

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
codes...

01340/16750/16759/16753/0411..
VW dealer says need upstream/downstream o2 sensors and an ECM.??? Help?
Thank you. (My husband is fuming... getting so much grief I may run away * on my horse).

·
Registered
15,844 Posts
01340 Mirror adjustment switches

P0366 - Ross-Tech Wiki

16759 P0375 Timing Reference High Resolution Signal B, Malfunction

16753 - Camshaft Position Sensor B Bank 1 (G300): Intermittent

16795/P0411/001041 - Ross-Tech Wiki

First code; looks like you possibly, have a failed mirror adjustment switch?

Looks like you have multiple codes; that are pointing in the direction of a faulty camshaft position sensor, wiring to the sensor or the timing has jumped or something is wrong with the timing belt/tensioners? I would check if the timing market are correct, the belt is in good condition (any stripped teeth?) and see if the CPS is bad/wiring is damaged.

The last code; is related to the secondary air injection system. I would check for disconnected hoses; see if the air pump is turning on and if the combi valve is opening as it should.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts