VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1999 automatic 2.0 new beetle with 160,000 miles, and ever since I have owned it, it has given me tranny issues. It used to have really high shift points like around 4000 rpm, then suddenly it stopped working. I started my car in the morning for school and the first thing I noticed was that I had to drop it into 3rd then bring it back up one click into the D position. That's when I realized I was screwed. When I put the car into 1st the speedometer says I'm in 2nd. Then I slide it up one click to the actual 2nd gear position and the speedometer tells me I'm still in second. While the transition from 2nd to 3rd is tricky; it's a pretty small gap, and if I apply too much pressure it slides into D. Another problem I am having is that the speedometer doesn't show what position the shifter is in, until the car has been driven for a while.

All things said, I talked to the previous owner and he said that he had the transmission resealed( I'm not sure what that means since I'm 17 and this is my first battle bug) but I don't know how to approach this. I am almost sure it isn't a problem with the shifter because I can select any gear I want except first, and the only other problem could be that I'm in limp mode. But unfortunately I can't afford to buy the temperature meter in order to check the tranny fluid level. If I over looked some information please notify me and Ill try to explain it as explicitly as I can.

A couple of side notes, one day I sat in the car and warmed it up for about an hour and the transmission worked perfectly, yet when I went to try it again I was stuck . I have tried disconnecting the battery to reset it manually but it had no effect:(. If I over looked some information please notify me and Ill try to explain it as explicitly as I can, because any help if greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
It seems; most of the transmission issues, are related to a bad/worn out valve body but there could be other internal problems as well. If you could get the car scanned; with a VW type scan tool, it could give you trouble codes, this could provide more information about what is wrong.

Cheap VW type scan tools:

vag305,vag405, vs450 etc.:

Amazon.com: vag scan tool

Many people; start with changing the transmission fluid, filter and seeing if that helps. Your situation; sounds to be a pretty advanced case of wear or internal problems, being able to read the trouble codes could give you more info. Most of the time; repairing the issue requires a rebuilt/new valve body or more.

Here are some threads; to check out:

http://newbeetle.org/forums/transmi...ilt-valve-body-replacement-my-experience.html

Maybe others; who have had the repairs done, can chime in and give you their opinion on the problems, you are experiencing.

You might want to talk with your parents or family members; about how much you/they are willing to spend on this car, to repair it. It has allot of miles as it is; it maybe best to look for something different, that is more reliable and in better mechanical condition.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts