VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
Just wondering what the little box by the battery is? I think it has a green stick coming out of it. Ive looked through the manual and cannot find it marked. I thought it may be my brake fluid resv but the diagram in the book points behind that box .
If anyone can give me an answer that would be great as there is not much fluid in that box by the battery.
Thanks
Brandy

·
His name is Poseidon
100 Posts
I believe it's the power steering reservoir. Is your car making a noise when you turn the steering wheel from side to side?

·
His name is Poseidon
100 Posts

·
Registered
15,839 Posts

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
power steering fluid

Question, Do you have to use this type of fluid on these cars? and what if you don't? I have used just regular power steering fluid off the local auto parts store for the last 8 y ears with no issues.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Well, it is a VW spec fluid; I haven't tried anything else. I just follow VW's recommended specs/fluids; you could potentially reduce the life of your steering rack (as others; may not meet the requirements needed)? In my area; I can get it at Pep Boys, O'Reilly's and most auto stores, can order it next day from their warehouse (amazon; has a good price too).

Here is the spec sheet from Pentosin:

http://www.pentosin.net/pressreleases/CRP-116_Pentosin_CHF11S_V3.pdf

Overview of VW power steering fluid:

Vw Power Steering Fluid G002000 - Vw Power Steering Fluid G004000

Prestone; also, sells power steering fluid in a smaller bottle, if you just need to top off your reservoir. Prestone's website: lists O'Reilly Auto Parts as a retailer for this product.

Prestone AS268 Power Steering Fluid for European Vehicles

http://prestone.com/enmx/node/1102

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
fluid

Well, it is a VW spec fluid; I haven't tried anything else. I just follow VW's recommended specs/fluids; you could potentially reduce the life of your steering rack (as others; may not meet the requirements needed)? In my area; I can get it at Pep Boys, O'Reilly's and most auto stores, can order it next day from their warehouse (amazon; has a good price too).

Here is the spec sheet from Pentosin:

http://www.pentosin.net/pressreleases/CRP-116_Pentosin_CHF11S_V3.pdf

Overview of VW power steering fluid:

Vw Power Steering Fluid G002000 - Vw Power Steering Fluid G004000

Prestone; also, sells power steering fluid in smaller a smaller bottle, if you just need to top off your reservoir. Prestone's website: lists O'Reilly Auto Parts as a retailer for this product.

Prestone AS268 Power Steering Fluid for European Vehicles

Prestone® Power Steering Fluid for European Vehicles | Prestone®
I'm not doubting ya I was merely stating I have not used it for the last 8 yrs since I owned the car, but I have never had to replace the whole fluid, just topping it off with one or two ounces once or twice in 8 years is not adding that much of the regular stuff I believe.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts