NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Thomas
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if this is the correct forum to post this, but I can't get my sunroof to retract completely. When I turn the knob to the full open position, the sunroof starts to open, gets halfway to three-quarters open, and stops. I tried it a couple of times and eventually stopped when I heard a crunching noise. The tracks seem to be well lube, and it closes and tilts just fine, any suggestions?:confused:

·
Premium Member
3,625 Posts
Moved this post to the Concerns/Problems forum where it will get more views.

Hope everything works out for ya!

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
Sorry, I'm not much help w/the sunroof. I'd check out that shade thing. I've heard of that causing problems. Other than that, I think you'll want to pull down the headliner to get a look at what's going on yourself.

·
Thomas
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. everybody! I thought I was going nuts when I didn't see this post, but finally found it. My sunroof shade moves back and forth fine most of the way. I can't push it back far enough to make the handle/vents disappear. I'll take a look at the tracks when I replace my antenna and base in about a month or so. I just may wait until next Spring since I don't need to use it right now.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Had the same issue with my 02 and here is what you will find. On both sides of the glass there are two plastic panels that snap in to cover the track. I had the inner plastic piece on the drivers side fall off and slid back on top of the headliner. When the roof got about halfway back, it stopped and heard the grinding. It is hard to get a good look inside to find the piece. Take off the molding strip on the back side of the headliner, just snaps off. Gently pull the headliner tabs down and look up inside with a light. If you cant see the piece causing the jamb, slowly open the sunroof until you hear the crunch and it stops, then look again. You will probably find the piece stuck on either the driver or passenger side pushed back under the track. Mine had slid over to the passenger side and was easy to reach in and pull out once the roof pushed it back. Fixed the problem. The plastic piece was missing a section of the snapping tab that holds it in, so I stuck it next to the spare tire for safe keeping. does not effect the roof operation without it. Hope you are able to find the piece.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts