NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Apprentice Org-aholic!
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bugs for Breakfast

Ok, it is 130am. I was stalking the forum, and thought, there needs to be more get togethers. I was thinking maybe organizing a Bugs for Breakfast(or brunch, dinner, lunch) event. Not sure where. It can be anywhere, really, but I find my self limited to South Dakota, Iowa, and Wisconsin. Right now I am centering this on the Twin Cities, more central to me and Wisconsin, though the place can move.

Plus who wouldnt like to meet up. Take pictures with new friends, post them to Facebook, and the Org.

Who knows what might happen? Have a couple BB's here, and a couple there, and before long we got a little North Central club going on.

Places:
Cracker Barrel
Machine Shed

Open to suggestions on a date, time and place.
New places, new faces, and New Beetles! :D

·
Apprentice Org-aholic!
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking maybe holding the B4B in the Twin Cities. Because I knew you'd be interested. Makes it easy for the both of us, and cheaper. Still thinking of a date and time. I was thinking the Machine Shed, or Cracker Barrel. But open to suggestions! :)

·
Apprentice Org-aholic!
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Doing a little brain storming. After seeing a post on the Collective, I was thinking we should do a "trunk or treat" next Halloween. Wouldn't that be cool to get a handful of beetles together and give out candy. I was also thinking maybe a Toys For Tots next year to. We could even be on Kare11(Twin Cities NBC)with the Nat'l Guard. Thoughts?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Twin Cities is a over night trip for me. Ive been meaning a little visit with family this fall, but Hubby still unemployed Im not at all sure when I could get up . If I do plan a trip soon Ill sure let you know and see if we could hit a BFB while im there.

I think toys 4 tots next year is a great thing to shoot for. If you start early we might be able to get some twin city beatles interested by then

·
Apprentice Org-aholic!
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Twin Cities is a over night trip for me. Ive been meaning a little visit with family this fall, but Hubby still unemployed Im not at all sure when I could get up . If I do plan a trip soon Ill sure let you know and see if we could hit a BFB while im there.

I think toys 4 tots next year is a great thing to shoot for. If you start early we might be able to get some twin city beatles interested by then
Thats right, I forgot you have family up here. That will be fun. Sorry to hear your other half is still unemployed. Hope that turns around soon. Just keep us posted, and we will see what happens.

·
Apprentice Org-aholic!
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
d I have a cousin that has had his pick up in shows and stuff on and off , maybe hed even be interested in doing photography of a group of round cars.lol
Sure. It will add texture. Lol

Sent from my SGH-T989 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
I'm so close to the Twin Cities (90 miles) that I wouldn't even have to stay in a motel unless I really wanted to, so any GTG, Toys for tots or giving out Halloween candy from our trunks or any other ideas would be cool with me.

As for finding water-cooled Beetle people there, I tried that on the Tex and struck out. The Twin City VW scene is strongly divided. The Minneapolis VW club puts on a great show every year on the first Sunday in June, but you're lucky to see 3 NBs there, as they are a very air-cooled-dominated club. If both of you guys showed up for the 2013 show, the number of NBs there would basically double. :D

As for the water-coolers in that area, they broke off from the Twin Cities club a few years back and do their own thing. In typical fashion, it's modded GTIs, Jettas, Sciroccos, etc. I don't know of any New Beetles/B12s/B13s in that group.

·
Apprentice Org-aholic!
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow, I thought there would have been more. But I should have listened to ya Pat. :) Still thinking of a location. and time. If you have an suggestions, you are more than welcome to share. If there is a nice place in Eau Claire I wouldnt mind that drive either! Maybe we could get some Wisconsin NB's together...

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
Hmmm.....I also tried to put a NB/B12 club together here in Eau Claire to no avail. I even had a name picked out: Wisconsin Water Beetles. I ran a newspaper ad for 60 days straight (since I get free clasifieds as an employee). I got 3 calls; One was a guy who didn't leave a return phone number, the second was a lady trying to sell her NB, and the third was a guy that mistakenly thought I was trying to start an all-VW club, which Eau Claire already has. In fact, I'm the head writer for the club's Newsletter. The only other person that was interested was a co-worker who drives a NB. However, the club president and VP both have NBs, but they never put them in our show. But if I could talk them into a NB GTG, that might work.

There are lots of nice drives around here, but in Wisconsin winters, they can be treacherous, but in the springtime, we could definitely set something up.

·
Apprentice Org-aholic!
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmmm.....I also tried to put a NB/B12 club together here in Eau Claire to no avail. I even had a name picked out: Wisconsin Water Beetles. I ran a newspaper ad for 60 days straight (since I get free clasifieds as an employee). I got 3 calls; One was a guy who didn't leave a return phone number, the second was a lady trying to sell her NB, and the third was a guy that mistakenly thought I was trying to start an all-VW club, which Eau Claire already has. In fact, I'm the head writer for the club's Newsletter. The only other person that was interested was a co-worker who drives a NB. However, the club president and VP both have NBs, but they never put them in our show. But if I could talk them into a NB GTG, that might work.

There are lots of nice drives around here, but in Wisconsin winters, they can be treacherous, but in the springtime, we could definitely set something up.
That right. I remember you saying something about that. Minnesota winters aren't fun either. Now if there were a 4 wheel drive beetle, that would be perfect.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
Now a 4 wheel drive would be a idea.lol I have seen a beetle that was lifted and I would liek to do that Im just afraid it would be a bit expensive.lol
It seems like a few years back, there was a concept modern-day version of a Baja Beetle with AWD, but it of course never saw production. BTW, Tani, following a complete physical, my doc has referred me to a sleep study. She could tell I was a snorer by the structure of my throat and esophagus.

·
Apprentice Org-aholic!
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Happy Thanksgiving all. So, Tani, any ideas when you are coming up to the North country? I am still trying to pick a date. if there is a date that works best with any of you let me know. Being that I work in fast food I just need a week, or depending on the day, just enough notice to bribe someone to work for me of get off. :p

I was thinking we should plan some GTG's, small ones, so we could circle our wagons, hang some flyers, pass out cards!?! Maybe we could get a "North Central+Iowa" club/group going. We already have 3 members. We are off to a great start! :p

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
Things calm down for me at work after the 1st of the year. We could do a winter GTG since water-cooled Beetles have heat, :D
but maybe waiting until about April or May would be better. I'd be up for anything. Tani, I'm doing a sleep study Dec 27, and very well may end up with a CPAP machine, too.

Dustin, I love your idea about a North Central water-cooled Beetle club. Since we all live a bit apart, we could alternate places to hold meetings/GTGs, like maybe Minnesota one month, Iowa the next, Wisconsin, etc. The tough part would be finding other interested people, but there has to be a few around somewhere, especially if we could get the word out via flyers & cards, maybe on Beetles and at VW dealerships. While putting them on Beetles may aggravate some, that would be the way to draw attention. Even if 99% threw them in the garbage, maybe that 1% would give us a call.

·
Apprentice Org-aholic!
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Dustin, I love your idea about a North Central water-cooled Beetle club. Since we all live a bit apart, we could alternate places to hold meetings/GTGs, like maybe Minnesota one month, Iowa the next, Wisconsin, etc. The tough part would be finding other interested people, but there has to be a few around somewhere, especially if we could get the word out via flyers & cards, maybe on Beetles and at VW dealerships. While putting them on Beetles may aggravate some, that would be the way to draw attention. Even if 99% threw them in the garbage, maybe that 1% would give us a call.
That's what I was thinking with a different host state either monthly or every other month. Maybe if/when we host in Iowa we could get some Omaha people involved?!?! I never thought about posting a flyer at a VW dealership. Duh! HA. Maybe we could mail out some flyers to local dealers...?

We could do a December GTG in the Twin Cities area, as Tani might be up. Then Wisconsin in January, and Iowa in February.

Weather permitting, I was thinking if we get going early we could try out the St Croix Scenic Byway for our December GTG. That would be a great Christmas party for us. Hit up a local mom and pop cafe. Looks like it might be a fun winter drive. Lots of great winter photo ops.

Let me know whats up! Maybe we should start a dedicated thread... we need a name first. :) I was thinking North Country Beetles? What do you think? Have something better?

·
Apprentice Org-aholic!
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'll check and see what weekends I have off in December. As for North Country Beetles, would we want to call it North Country Water Beetles? We could welcome all Beetles but then I suspect you, me, and Tani would have the only NBs and everyone else would have air-cooled.
That sounds like a great name I cant believe I didnt think to add water to it! :p North Country Water Beetles it is. I would say lets go with that?! I was researching different beetle and other car club/groups and at least half said they started out with 3 or 4 people/cars.

Any news on a new New Beetle for ya Pat? I found this BEAUTIFUL Cyber Green Color Concept at Luther Westside! :D But you probably already seen it! :)

Used Cars

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts