VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always loved VW's. I finally was able to purchase one. A 2000 VW New Beetle. We bought it August 11th... not even 4 months ago, and we are only the second owners. These are the problems we've been having:

1. Random warning lights going on then turing off after a few minutes.
a.) The oil light went on, so we changed the oil, and all was fine, until 2 days later....

2. The alarm and light went on "Check Engine" as I was driving, I about had a heart attack, then, as I was slowing down, it just turned off, and hasn't done it again since.

3. The headlights, low beams, BOTH burnt out at the same exact time.
a.) I replaced the bulbs (and learned a thing or two) and haven't had a problem with those until a couple weeks later...

4. My blinkers now don't live up to their name, both blinkers and hazard lights just stay on when I activate them. AND now my gas gauge doesn't work.

Still working on that but I'm starting to get the feeling that these are just symptoms for something much worse. My husband is in the Army, and we live in Italy so there's no way I can take it into a dealership, and he not only doesn't know much about cars, but he's also out of country for awhile. I've checked the fusses, and all looks fine.

The only garage I have access to is a DIY type, and when they can help me they don't know much about Bug's.

Has anyone had these problems, or know how to fix it? Honestly I'm ready to send Bessie to car heaven. I face huge fines here in Italy for these seemingly minor problems, and if I break down on the side of the road and my hazard lights don't work, it's not just fines I'm worried about.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

~MrsBos

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,639 Posts
Wow, :eek: where to start? Seeing how you are in Italy I'm not certain how you should proceed? Typically what you do is....

If the Engine Light (CEL Light) comes on you get it scanned for codes, as the codes you get help to point you in given direction, so you are not fighting blind. In your case this does not appear to be an option so...

This is a SWAG, the central focus based on your descriptions is the steering column... lights, blinkers, instrument console all of which are wired in some way via or to the ignition switch.

My next SWAG would be the relays in the engine bay.

I hope this was somewhat helpful. :confused:

·
364 Posts
Also get your DIY garage to check the terminals on the battery for good contact also the fuses that sit on top of the battery - these can appear good but on closer inspection may have overheated causing intermittent contact and are a not un-common problem. To check properly it's best to remove the fuses and inspect how tight they make contact.

·
MNM_00Bug
3 Posts
Blinker is an easy fix

The blinkers run through the Hazard switch. Replace the Hazard switch and you will have your blinker back and your gas guage may be fixed also. I am dealing with a similar problem - random shut downs and gone. I suspect the fuses or fuse connections on top of the battery. Once it stop raining I will replace them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts