NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I may be heading out on a 4 hr drive (each way) to pick up a set of 18" wheels & tires. Wondering if they would fit safely in the bug with the seats down.

Anyone transported 4 tires & wheels safely back there?

Edit: is about a 7.5 hour drive each way. I put in the wrong destination in Mapquest

Thanks

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think 18" may make a difference? Also want to protect the wheel's finish for the long trip back

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
Been there, done that.Not a problem at all. Take some moving blankets and have a safe trip.

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
Whatcha gettin??

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I'm looking at a set of OEM Aristos with nearly new tires. The wheels are powdercoated black with a few layers of clear powdercoating or paint on top of that. I have to clarify that from the seller and want to see them in person before buying them. Seems like a pretty straight shooter with our correspondence so far. He's even wiling to meet me in Chicago, saves me about 4 hrs of round trip driving. He's in Milwaukee I'm in Omaha.

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
Hope ur getting a good deal on them, cause thats quite a hike.
One of my all time favorite wheels for a NB.

·
Registered
712 Posts
If you take the Cherokee your fuel cost will skyrocket! Possibly two 20 gallon tanks of gas, versus one 14gal tank of diesel. Just sayin.

·
big poster turned lurker.
9,487 Posts
Those deltas were thrown in there... I also a few years ago (like in 05) transported a set of stock 16s with tires, on the backseat in upright confuguration.

If you really want to maximize useable space, the backseat bottom comes out with a tug on that hinge bar thing... the backrest comes out with 2 bolts and releasing the spring clips on the side and leaving the whole assembly at home.

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Those deltas were thrown in there... I also a few years ago (like in 05) transported a set of stock 16s with tires, on the backseat in upright confuguration.

If you really want to maximize useable space, the backseat bottom comes out with a tug on that hinge bar thing... the backrest comes out with 2 bolts and releasing the spring clips on the side and leaving the whole assembly at home.
Thanks, Toad

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you take the Cherokee your fuel cost will skyrocket! Possibly two 20 gallon tanks of gas, versus one 14gal tank of diesel. Just sayin.

Not quite 1 tank, ended up being about 1 1/4 ;)

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ehg Ehhgmm... Pictures please!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
LOL. Not much to see yet. I still have to touch up my calipers & rotors before installing them.
Here are a few pics. OEM 2004 R32 18x7.5 with 38mm et. Powder coated gloss black with a coat of clear on top. Not a scratch, or blemish. Well worth the road trip + got to hear some great music on the way back - had the radio blastin' :D

I think they will look rather good ;)

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Now, I need to find a spare wheel & tire - doesn't have to be perfect, just a spare...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts