NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experienced a problem with the side door lock popping out of place when you shut the door?? I noticed this this morning when I went out to my car... I thought someone had tried to break into the car, but nothing else looked amiss. The lock (next to the door handle) on the driver's side door had popped out about a half inch. I was able to pop it back in.

When I got to work, I saw the lock was popped out again and I realized it was happening when I was shutting the door. What's the problem? (and solution?) Hopefully not an expensive one...

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Lock mechanism and its securing screw.

Flopka2 said:
Has anyone experienced a problem with the side door lock popping out of place when you shut the door?? I noticed this this morning when I went out to my car... I thought someone had tried to break into the car, but nothing else looked amiss. The lock (next to the door handle) on the driver's side door had popped out about a half inch. I was able to pop it back in.

When I got to work, I saw the lock was popped out again and I realized it was happening when I was shutting the door. What's the problem? (and solution?) Hopefully not an expensive one...
With lock fully in place open door handle and with a polygon tip screw driver loosen the set screw under the black plastic plug on the outter side of door. Making certain that the door handle has remained open, loosen the inside of plug polygon screw with a T10011 VW tool or an approximately 4 mm wide polygon tip screw driver. This type screw has many facets all around the edge of the screw. When the lock cylinder comes loose, the door handle should stay open all by itself. Insert key into lock to help with removal and re-insertion. Be certain the door handle has stayed open and carefully install lock cylinder housing into opening in door. Tighten polygon screw. As screw is tightened, an audible noise should be heard indicating correct seating of lock housing and proper tensioning of the door handle spring. Re-place black plastic plug...If you have any questions regarding this procedure, any VW tech. should be able to advise you. I sometimes just walk back into the shop and ask for the lead tech and ask him any and all questions I have. They are almost always willing and able to answer or advise.... JK

1 - 3 of 3 Posts