NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
out in the sandbox
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I'm a soon-to-be NB 'vert person ("yellow kitty" is in production!)and I'm curious about what 'vert people do when it comes to locking up the car---do you bother to do it at all? I figure just keep anything worth anything out of the car and don't lock it since I assume someone could easily rip the roof if they wanted something badly enough, but I'm new at this. Would love to hear from experienced on the issue.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
Well, I do it like this. I keep no valuable items in view. Nothing at all. My iPod cable stays on the floor (it's black), and other than that, you can't see anything that's different from a showroom model. Any valuables would stay in the glovebox or trunk, which I do lock. And yes, I do lock the cars... if people can slip in without any hassle, they will. ;) Most thieves will pass if it takes a little longer to get in (more time for them to get caught).

I also recommend either tinting the windows or adding security film (especially to the back glass and side windows).

-Des

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
If some heathen wants in, he will get in. There's not a lot you can do about him.

What you can do is what Des suggested. Do not keep anything in your car that can be seen. Hide everything from view. Keep your car as if it was in the showroom. If a crook doesn't see anything, he will likely pass up your car for one full of "goodies".

I am often guilty of leaving things in my car, but never valuables. A jacket, newspaper, umbrella. But never "valuables", such as cell phone, purse (NEVER!!), CDs, mail. Yes, mail! So much private info in there. Never keep mail, or anything with your name on it, in your car. Lock up your registration and insurance info in the glovebox. Sure, a crook could probably wrench the glovebox door open if he wanted. But, if he doesn't see anything in the first place......;)

The lesson here is simple. Don't leave bait in your car.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I carry a canvas bag free from the local bank which I put
some things in, Easy to carry with me. When and if I get a nbc I'd like to buy one that matches the car color.
I still always lock my car.

·
I love my family!
2,887 Posts
When I had my Cabrio, some miscreant tried to slice the top to get to lord knows what...But the triple layer top seemed to mystify his/her criminal mind, and he stopped, but not before:mad: trashing my top:mad:

·
Registered
125 Posts
we rarely park the car in the street, but if we do we leave nothing in sight... we have tinted windows so this helps. if we leave the car at shows we have found the best thing to do is lock the glovebox, boot & fuel release controls and the cd changer, then we leave the roof down and the doors unlocked (have found people here are quite respectful of cars and dont get in them or open doors etc...) plus we are rarely out of sight of it.

as stated above... if someone wants in then you cant stop them no matter what car you have and it would probably be easier to break a window than to get in through the roof.

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
i like to lock the car when the top is down. just for a gag.

yeah, i try not to leave things in the car that would entice anyone, but i do lock it.

·
Super Moderator
5,308 Posts
I would always lock my cabriolet unless I had the top down, there is no point then. I never left anything in it anyway.

·
Boogety Boogety
413 Posts
I'm assuming you mean, "do you put up the top when the car is unattended" as opposed to "do you lock the doors when the top is up."

When I'm away from my car, even if it's in my driveway while I run inside, I lock up the doors. I loooove seeing the little blinky lights on the doors [where door locks are on lesser cars], and even if I didn't enjoy their security and entertainment value, I'd still lock the doors. Long-time habit. :p

When I'm out in public, on the incredibly rare ocassion that the top is up and I leave the vicinity of my car, of course I lock the doors. If the top is down, I still lock the doors. If I feel unusually threatened by the "feel" of a neighborhood, I'll roll up the windows, leaving the top down (if it's that dicey a locale, I'm not staying long anyhoo, but windows up will slow access to all but the most determined hooligan). :mad:

My secret and recommendation: I leave nothing that can be grabbed from inside the car in view. I do carry my necessities, though: My garage door opener is stored unseen under the center plastic panel on the dash, operated by a remote button I installed under the plastic wing opposite the steering column from where the bud vase used to be. The bud vase was jettisoned and therein now resides my remote radar detector. And my TollTag, for toll roads here in the Dallas area, is also found velcro'ed in place under the plastic center panel, right alongside my remote Garmin antenna for the GPS, which is mounted just above my unused cupholders. I only use the GPS on long trips to unfamiliar territories, so normally there's nothing in the car to tempt the less honest amongst us. Anything of value gets trunked-up before I walk away. :D

If someone wants to get in your car, they will. Most thieves and vandals -- a cowardly lot in my experience -- assume such a tempting target is either closely watched or the owner is about to return, so they tend to leave open cars alone (and I've owned a boatload of 'verts in my life, with never an issue). Paranoia alert: Open NBCs with alarms are useless IMHO... since within ~15 seconds, a miscreant can get in your car (setting off the alarm), open your hood (the release CAN'T be locked, you know), and cut wires to silence the hullaballoo, allowing him/her to plunder your car at will in most instances. Why VW didn't make the hood access more secure is one of my big BIG BIG peeves about the NBC... :mad:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts