VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
squirreljuice
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight I raced a friend in his WRX and held my own until I realized I had shifted FOUR times and he was still in SECOND. Now I'm not jumping out to get a transmission rebuild just because I got whomped in the higher end, but I am going to be doing a pretty extensive rebuild on my bug and would like to change the gearing so I can get longer pulls in my car. So I guess what I am really asking is has anyone done this? And also, where can I find parts? I know HPA puts long gears in their VR6 swaps, surely there is something for the 1.8T five speed transmissions, right?

·
squirreljuice
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The diesel tranny is a direct fit to the 1.8T? I would have figured they would have been different. Even so, that is a crazy gain in top speed! I might look a little more into this.

·
squirreljuice
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lol mine is 50k behind you but it still feels new. No slips, nothing. People may give VW crap, but they are just jealous because they work so well. I mean my car is a testament to their engine building. The whole reason I'm rebuilding my engine is it spun a bearing up in the head. However, that was 10K miles ago, if not more, and the car still runs like a champ and holds its own against most of the other cars in town (if I race, which isn't often. Mostly when I see some kid in his mustang driving like a jack wagon :rolleyes: ). I honestly would have no idea about the bearing if I hadn't seen the shavings in my oil myself.

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
Tonight I raced a friend in his WRX and held my own until,I got whomped in the higher end.
Kinda surprised you had trouble with the Subbie.
I have no problems with them, unless its a STI.
As a matter of fact, last year coming home from T.o.D. I had the pleasure of doing a pull against a WRX, from 70mph up to triple digits, and when I let off and let the guy pass, we was just shaking his head, I could tell he wasnt happy being beat by a Beetle.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,415 Posts
Ah, but you have a Turbo S, so you have more power and 6 gears, vs. the regular Turbo.

·
squirreljuice
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm tuned to like 200ish hp and I still have no top end. How are you leaving subbies in the dust from 70+ mph? Am I missing something to get that extra ooomph in the 60+ mph area? Because after about 60 or 70 in my bug, its all I can do to not fall too far behind. At the beginning of our race (we started at a 20 roll) I ripped on him and got two cars ahead, and then he started gaining faster and faster after 60.

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
I'm tuned to like 200ish hp and I still have no top end. How are you leaving subbies in the dust from 70+ mph? Am I missing something to get that extra ooomph in the 60+ mph area? Because after about 60 or 70 in my bug, its all I can do to not fall too far behind. At the beginning of our race (we started at a 20 roll) I ripped on him and got two cars ahead, and then he started gaining faster and faster after 60.
I never said I was leaving them in the dust, but he never got in front of me. It was a roll from 70mph and I did down shift into 5th when I saw he wanted to play a little. I have only had one Subbie give me a problem, and it was a STI.
The only reason I messed with him was to see that thing launch from a red light. I love watching a AWD do a hard launch.

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
kinda reminds me of a scared cat. When they take off their all over the place, but they are gettin somewhere quick.

·
squirreljuice
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It more reminds me of cartoons. Like the bull in that one Bugs Bunny where he was the matador. The bull would spin his legs really fast and then shoot off towards Bugs.

·
Keep It Real
1,746 Posts
You could put a TDI transmission in to get longer gears. The 2 charts are Engine RPM vs. Speed. Screenshots are from the CarTest program.

http://newbeetle.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=125481&stc=1&d=1394382933

http://newbeetle.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=125481&stc=1&d=1394382933
One might want to consider the difference in torque between a Gas and Diesel engine, putting a transmission with long gears behind a lower torque gas engine could result in sluggish acceleration along with taking forever to get to redline...:bash:.

This is the gear chart for my custom built transmission which is connected to my high HP/TQ big turbo 1.8T, pulls like a Bat out of hell with very little RPM drop between shifts...:)

(SIX SPEED RAlly LONG (.75 6th gear/4.24 FINAL)
GEAR RATIO RPM SPEED MPH DROP RPM
1 2.7 7500 47
2 1.8 7500 71 2500
3 1.45 7500 88 1458
4 1.15 7500 111 1552
5 0.89 7500 143 1696
6 0.75 7500 170 1180
6th Cruising Speed 2865 rpm 65 mph

1 - 13 of 13 Posts