NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
weeta
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

I've been reading these forums for as long as I can remember for advice on this weirdo little car of mine. My 2000 Beetle was my first car, and I got it almost 10 years ago. I haven't ever posted here, I don't really know why. I remember finding the forums back in 2004ish, when I was having my first check-engine-light hysteria ;) I'm 27, live in San Diego, but bought my Beetle in Pittsburgh PA. My mom and I drove it across the country in June 2001, with two cats and a broken A/C! The car has had its ups and downs, mostly with the computer system, but it has been pretty reliable and awesome.

On Sunday morning as I was driving to the grocery store, I got T-boned two blocks away from my house. The woman who hit me ran a red light at the end of a freeway offramp; I had the right of way at a green light. The Beetle spun around a few times and slammed into a parked pickup truck. My first accident ever, not even my fault, and the car is totaled. Passenger window shattered & airbag deployed...everything in the car is smooshed a little to the left. The insurance company towed it today while I was at work (even though they told me they wouldn't be towing until tomorrow morning!) and brutally dragged it down my driveway, leaving these pathetic sad tire marks on my driveway. I'm absolutely traumatized and feel like I just went through a bad breakup. I can't see myself driving anything else. I've been taking care of it for ten years, just had the timing belt & water pump replaced two weeks ago (had I only known, I wouldn't have! ugh).

Anyway, here is the little tank that kept me & my boyfriend safe from that vicious red-light-running Honda (well, we've both got some nasty whiplash, but considering the impact, we're lucky):

I am soliciting any and all advice on finding a good used Beetle that will last me a couple more years!

-bix

·
turbo
1,043 Posts
it makes me sad to hear that a beetle lost their life recently, especially a nice silver one like that (was it a silver arrow?) if you lived in or near wisconsin, i know of a 2003 turbo s 6-speed manual with leather interior and only 66k on it, when i first saw it and looked at it, i felt like i was cheating on my beetle. if only i had 9 grand to buy it, then i would have 2 black beetles and would be soooooo happy. I hope you find another nb. (maybe you could hold off until spring and get the nb final edition, lol)

·
Where is home ....
11,013 Posts
:( I am so sorry that you lost your bug. :( My eyes are tearing up. :(

However, I am HAPPY that it kept you and your boyfriend safe!

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,639 Posts
Glad to see your NB held up to the impact and the two of you are all right. There are several decent NB's in the ORG classifieds.

·
Super Moderator
14,766 Posts
Oh, so sorry to see that! :(

But, like you said, you are relatively unscathed. I am sure once the Honda drivers insurance pays for your car and pain and suffering, you should be able to get a fancier New Beetle. :wink:

Anyway, Welcome to the Org (?) :wave2: and Good luck with your search a replacement.

·
Registered
306 Posts
sorry to hear of your loss, Im really suprised how well these little cars hold up in collisions

·
turbo
1,043 Posts
the do hold up rather well, when i was in kansas last summer, i hit an 87 mustang gt coming into an autoparts store parking lot, we hit eachothers front left bumper, all i had was a scuff in the paint adn he needed a new front bumper and front left quarter panel. seeing the pictures of what your nb looks like after your accident makes me feel safer now.

·
VW Junky
1,032 Posts
Scheisse!What a loss,you can see the hondas front bumper pressed into your door....Sorry for your loss,it was a beautiful beetle,im sure youll find another cutie shortly,although it will never be the same:(...

btw,i hate Honda n' Toyotas with a passion,i got yer' back miss..;)

·
50% OLD (o\_l_/o) School
1,432 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
'longtime lurker'

Sorry bout your loss,But what a strong car..My sis just totalled her car 2 nights ago.She is ok and glad both of you came out ok also..I been in my share of crashes over the yrs no FUN!!:(

·
Old & New Beetles
2,244 Posts
Oh, I´m so sorry to hear that :(
Glad that you´re ok; NBs are really strong cars!

I hope that you´ll find a new one soon...

Take care!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Glad to see that you and your BF were not seriously injured. I knew a member of another NB group and she was really lucky to be alive. These cars really are mini-tanks. She got hit so hard hers rolled and all the airbags popped. She came outta that with only a small scratch. Keep looking for that replacement.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts