NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a few miles from my house... Looks like a basic model with 2.5 engine, 5 speed manual, has drum brakes on the rear.

Attachments

·
5/23/10 <3
10,918 Posts
They did the same with the Jetta. Its really not an issue, I don't think. Drums do a good job. I have a Mk1 with front discs and rear drums. Even without ABS, we've managed to avoid an accident or two. I've also seen a number of newer cars, not just VWs, that have drums in the rear.

·
Dreamin' of a Bug !
1,261 Posts
They did the same with the Jetta. Its really not an issue, I don't think. Drums do a good job. I have a Mk1 with front discs and rear drums. Even without ABS, we've managed to avoid an accident or two. I've also seen a number of newer cars, not just VWs, that have drums in the rear.
My car has rear drums too and it's an 08.
No issues stopping at all (It does have ABS though).

·
Registered
444 Posts
The true test will come when we find out if VWOA cleaned up all the issues the NB was know for and made a super quality, durable vehicle this time that will keep it off the Worst Car lists! I can't wait to see it, maybe take if for a test drive.... Then i'll wait! ;)

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
The true test will come when we find out if VWOA cleaned up all the issues the NB was know for and made a super quality, durable vehicle this time that will keep it off the Worst Car lists! I can't wait to see it, maybe take if for a test drive.... Then i'll wait! ;)
Should actually already be rather easy to determine. The NB was on the same platform as the MKIV Jetta, Golf, GTI, etc. They all had the same basic issues. Although, I still say they're damn reliable compared to a lot of things out there. I've had very few problems with my 2000, and had TONS of problems with both my Toyotas.

Since this is based on (I believe) the MKVI platform, just look at the Golf / GTI out now, whatever issues those have, would be what you could expect on one of these.

I have an MKV based Audi A3, and have had zero issues.

And keep in mind, the Beetle will have the same engines as vehicles that have been out for a long time, so engine wise, they should be a-ok.

·
Old & New Beetles
2,244 Posts
Yeah, I don´t see drum brakes as a problem. Nor cheaper radio.

I think, it is really good that Beetle 2012 -line up has also a cheaper model for people who love Beetles, but who don´t want to pay extra money for "unnecessary" accessories...

·
Super Moderator
5,308 Posts
Don't really care about the radio but I really don't like drum brakes. I hate working on them unless they're an old beetle. Those are simple, minus the nut holding the rear drum on.

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
Brake Drums? and that radio is horrible, must have touch screen.
I don't think it is a touchscreen, looks to be similar to one of the standard radios in Europe. It's definitely not the touchscreen like in my mom's Mk6 Golf.

Drum brakes make sense when they're building the car to a price-point in order to keep the entry level competitive. At least discs should be standard on the higher-trims (and apparently alloys are standard then?).

·
Dubbed Spiderman
2,830 Posts
I saw a Fiat 500 about a month ago and thought it was horrible. :p Earlier this week I saw a whole truckload of them and still think they are terrible. :rolleyes: My point, if this is a base 2012 Beetle with drum brakes to keep the price point down, then that looks great and VW has nothing to worry about with the Fiat! :D

·
5/23/10 <3
10,918 Posts
I actually like the Fiat. Its gotten really good reviews too. But its an entirely different car from the Beetle. Much smaller, I think its more competing with the Smart car, Mazda2, Fiesta, etc.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Yeah, in Europe we have a Polo which is smaller than the Golf and more in line with the 500 (and a Fox made in Brazil which is smaller still) the 500 has the MINI and Smart and Toyota (Scion) iQ to compete with.

Kate

·
Registered
11,557 Posts
I guess I understand saving money but I just feel like at this point in time... in automotive history; cars should have discs all around! Doing a brake job on drums; sure is a drag! I wonder how much money; they are really saving by having drums instead of discs? I can only see the calipers being most expensive part, compared to a wheel cylinder and drums vs. rotors? Let all drum brakes be banished from cars of today! :)

·
Registered
196 Posts
Yeah I actually like the Fiat 500 and I'm thinking about buying one this weekend.
My sister has a Fiat 500, it's about a year old & she loves it! My Smart is 13 yrs old this month though & I'd never sell her :) Cookie & Elmo the NB's are our 'family' cars for when we are in the US and when all 3 of us go out!

Kate

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update......went back to Tech Center found...

White turbo with 18" wheels...RCD 310 sound system, 6 speed DSG trans..

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts