VW Beetle Forum banner

Looking at buying a 2004 beetle convertible. Should I?

19K views 28 replies 10 participants last post by  bugsy98nb 
#1 ·
I have been looking for a manual convertible (of any type, not just VW) for a while and finally found the perfect one. It is a 2004 powder blue manual convertible VW bug. It has 55,000 miles on it and seems to be in good shape. My dad was looking to pay $6-7,000 on a new car for me and this one is more expensive, but he is willing to make an exception. We are wanting whatever car I get to last 7-8 more years until I am out of college and to be very low maintenance. I've read that transmission problems are common and it would be expensive to fix. What kind of issues could I expect and do you think this car would last the 7-8 years that I'm wanting it to without having too many problems?
THANKS!

#2 ·
The transmission problems are associated with the automatics. Manual transmissions are pretty reliable. I've got 93k on my car on the original clutch. Only issue I had is there was a plastic piece that broke on my shift linkage, but that is present only on '98 and '99 models as far as I know. Still shifts great! I'd say go for it!

Th only big thing I would make sure of is if the water pump and timing belt has been changed if its around 60k (or past that point). If not, you can do some negotiating on getting the price down.

#3 ·
Hm, from what I have heard, the common transmission problems are with the automatic trans, not the 5 speed manual. 55K miles is good to start with, I got my 2002 in 2007 with only 21K on it!

How much is the 2004 going for? One thing you MUST check, is to see if the timing belt and water pump have been done. They need to be done done 55-60K , if they aren't and the timing belt goes out, it destroys the engine :)

The timing belt / water pump can be done for under like $500 for all parts and labor. Just, not from VW, they charged over $1200-1400 for that.

So that's something to check. Are there any records of maintenance?

#4 ·
I also have a 5-speed 2004 NBC and it's my favorite car I've ever owned or driven.
Dittos on the timing belt and water pump change. I just did mine at 52k.

I would also make sure that the top mechanism works properly, and that the wings close all the way down when the top is down. That's the only problem I've had, and I still have it.

Here's my car:
http://newbeetle.org/forums/photos-...s-silver-04-nb-convertible-gls-1-8-turbo.html

#5 ·
I also have a 5-speed 2004 NBC and it's my favorite car I've ever owned or driven.
Dittos on the timing belt and water pump change. I just did mine at 52k.

I would also make sure that the top mechanism works properly, and that the wings close all the way down when the top is down. That's the only problem I've had, and I still have it.

Here's my car:
http://newbeetle.org/forums/photos-...s-silver-04-nb-convertible-gls-1-8-turbo.html
I had mine done at 52.5k, and got great kit from ECS Tuning that included everything I needed including new G12 cooling flood. :D

#9 ·
I have an 04 vert with 62K miles. Has the auto tranny and 1.8T. We just had the timing belt/ WP done for $750 (at the dealership no less)
So far the only issues I have had is with the darn electric windows on the drivers side. first it was the latch ( window was not dropping when door opened) cost $300, then it was the regulators in both the front and rear windows cost $650. Also continue to have issues with the rear liner not staying in despite new clips being installed.
Also had to have the bushing (I think that is what it was) replaced in the front suspension.
I LOVE my car but it has not been cheap to maintain.
My husband told the dealer he did not want to come back because it cost $1500 every time it was in the shop.
this last time it was Timing belt/WP, 2 widow reg. & replace transmission fluid (which they really did not recommend curious enough)

BTW the dealer has not been much more than what we have been quoted by an indie shop. we chose the dealer due to warrantee and the fact they will give us a loaner.

#10 ·
I was in similar situation

Interestingly I was in similar situation as you and I faced the same choice. Unfortunately I did not ask the right questions on time. However I still love my choice and I love my "new" used beetle from 2004. It is really nice and well done car. Engine is good really pleasure to drive. The only problem I have is with the flaps that the people already mentioned to you. Mine wont go down all the way so it is creating lot of trouble. I am from Europe and I bought this car relatively cheap for European market so I don't mind paying some extra money to replace it. The guy from the dealer also promised to settle the costs trough some additional insurance I acquired.

Thus the only advice I can give you which is Beetle specific, and I learned it hard way, take care of those flaps. If they are not working properly there seem to be couple of solutions : they can be removed, the roof can be made manual (for 190$ in US as I could read), or they can be replaced (apparently up to 600-1000$ for full replacement in US). So if they are not working it is not end of the world, but if I would be you (or if I knew about this problem before) I would just bargain down for the price of their replacement.

Other than that beetle seems to bee really reliable and enjoyable car.

#17 ·
Well, this time I could reach the switch with my finger, and it did move...however, I'm still getting the same result.
It's going down about this far on the first go, even though I'm still pulling up on my button. Then, it freezes, and won't go up or down.
Did you try resetting your windows via the all window switch? I know it sounds wierd, but the systems are linked. I had a glitch a few weeks back where the top/flaps wouldn't move at all. Cycled the windows and... all be @#$! Is that more movement than before?

#25 ·
beetle beware

I have had nothing but sensor failures and interior pieces braking too easily. The interior plastics are cheap and the window regulators will break on most older models, I ve had my 99 beetle for 5 months and If you seen all of my posts you would know that I have had several problems with it, I have friends with beetles and they have the same problems as I and the VW dealers will not cut you any slack when you need maintainence preformed. My daughter loves the car but they are money pits when they get a few years on them. We still have ours and still fixing small problems.

#26 ·
I have had nothing but sensor failures and interior pieces braking too easily. The interior plastics are cheap and the window regulators will break on most older models, I ve had my 99 beetle for 5 months and If you seen all of my posts you would know that I have had several problems with it, I have friends with beetles and they have the same problems as I and the VW dealers will not cut you any slack when you need maintainence preformed. My daughter loves the car but they are money pits when they get a few years on them. We still have ours and still fixing small problems.
Well, don't try to scare away the new people looking for info. Not all of them are money pits :D

I've had Sting for 3 years and it's been the best car I've ever had. Some issues do arise with some of them, some of them have recalls and will be fixed. Or , better, if you love the car, replace defective bits with NON-VW stock parts. Get aftermarket bits made by other companies and those problems won't re-occur.

#27 ·
Only VW part I have bought for the car was a copy of the ignition key, My car runs great now that I ve spent 1,300 in parts and fixed everything myself and that was the cheapest way. Only problem I am having now is I have a cat code and O2 code and I thing the previous owner has gutted the cat converter. I also need a grille assembly with fog lights and the undercarriage splash shield, they were missing when I bought the car

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.