NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I am starting to look for a used new beetle. I have had a 2000 and a 2002 GLS new beetle, but those were both leases. I am looking to trade in my honda civic for a beetle, so I'm hoping to get one for about 6-8500 dollars so it will almost be an even trade.

I want to get this bug and drive it forever. Any thing I should be looking out for? I am looking for probably a 2000 or 2001. I found a 2000 GLX 5sp online at a local dealership for 7988 with 83000 miles. Sound like a good deal??? What are some problems encountered with high mileage bugs? Both my 2002 and 2000 bug had NO PROBLEMS, and were super reliable, but I only had them for a few years.

Any insight would be appreciated, I am wanting to make the best decision and get a car that I can drive for many years to come.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
Hi! My 02 has nearly 80,000 on the clock. So far, so good. at or around 100k (*many say before 80k*) the timing belt needs to be replaced. This is the most indepth and expensive repair any car regardless of make will face. Expect $650 but be prepared for an $800 bill if you take it to a dealership. Other german mechanics may do it for less, but $600 is the going rate and IT IS VERY involved. The parts cost about $200 to do it yourself from ECS tuning - plan to spend a minimum of 12 hours if it's your first time, and have a backup car ready incase you don't finish it in the first 2 days of trying (learned that from a V6 Honda). As far as other problems... it comes and goes I guess. Might have a bad window regulator, covered under warranty still, or a few blown interior lights, but likely nothing major. CARFAX CARFAX CARFAX!

Good luck!

·
Poopship Destroyer
12,736 Posts
A 2000 GLX 83k miles for $8k?? That sounds pretty reasonable so long as it's had all of it's maintenance. You might want to replace a few parts just to be safe, but if it was kept well you would be okay with that. I'd look for a 2001 or later though just to be safe, but like any car, if it was well cared for it won't give you any trouble.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts