NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
USS ANNIEPRISE NCC 1701 A
4,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My passenger door speaker sounds like it is busted. I just read that in the door are subwoofers. Is this correct? I need to replace it, it sounds awful. I know some guys, (and gals) switch stock things out, so I am looking for one or both.

WTB DOOR SPEAKERS

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Go to crutchfield.com, their house brand speakers are called Sound Ordinance. They are not very expensive,but they sound really great as a direct fit replacement.
Comes with rings,clips, connectors, adapters, screws, and everything else you'll possibly need for the job. No extra charge!
Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
4,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Go to crutchfield.com, their house brand speakers are called Sound Ordinance. They are not very expensive,but they sound really great as a direct replacement.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Hey, thanks so much, I'll check them out! I have a question. Do you have to take the door panel off to get to them, or just pop off the speaker screen. Believe it or not, I've owned 3 NBs numerous OBs Buses, and I have never replaced a speaker!! Thanks again!!!!
scott

·
Registered
307 Posts
you gotta remove the panels :( also if the speakers are too deep in the front you also have to get rings or make your own.

enjoy

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm parting a NB right now and may be able to help with the speaker rings.

I have some off this NB and should have some from a MKIV Jetta I parted also.

Front speakers are usually pop riveted in with 4 rivets but are easy to drill out.

I may have a good front speaker or 2 but with their age I'd buy new as the previous poster said.

·
Apprentice Org-aholic!
1,470 Posts
Hey, thanks so much, I'll check them out! I have a question. Do you have to take the door panel off to get to them, or just pop off the speaker screen. Believe it or not, I've owned 3 NBs numerous OBs Buses, and I have never replaced a speaker!! Thanks again!!!!
scott
The door panel are fairly easy to remove. Two screws behind/in the handle and a couple along the bottom. Carefully pull from the bottom and sides and lift straight up and over the lock. Then unplug the switches and unclip the latch cable. Then drill out the four rivets holding the speakers in. Very easy.
Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
4,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wanted to say thanks for the link, I FINALLY bought my speakers today! Now to see if I am able to change them

·
ToD Maiden Voyager
3,412 Posts
I wanted to say thanks for the link, I FINALLY bought my speakers today! Now to see if I am able to change them
once the door panel's are off, pretty easy job---you'll be fine, Scott. :)

·
4,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
once the door panel's are off, pretty easy job---you'll be fine, Scott. :)
Thanks Warren!! I have been calling stereo places around to see about getting my speakers installed. I wasn't going to attempt it, until they told me that the New Beetle is an "especially" difficult vehicle to change door speakers. and they asked 75 bucks!!! I think maybe I will give it a try after all. One of the guys actually told me the factory speakers are 6 1/2 inches. The ones Crutchfield say 5 1/2 inches. Is that where the rings come in? They sent me rings with it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts