NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
950 Posts
Are you sure that is the correct shield for your vehicle? That looks like the shield found on a TDI. I thought the gas engines had a smaller shield.

The TDI shield has to be screwed in at the back and sides (to the side skirts) so you'd need all three to make it work. And mounting hardware.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you sure that is the correct shield for your vehicle? That looks like the shield found on a TDI. I thought the gas engines had a smaller shield.

The TDI shield has to be screwed in at the back and sides (to the side skirts) so you'd need all three to make it work. And mounting hardware.
Hummm. I guess I'm not sure. The original from my car was missing before I got the car -- so I don't know what's correct. I purchased a splash guard like the one from VeeDubYah's link. Unfortunately, it didn't fit. It was too short from front to back. The rear end of the shield was too short to attach anywhere on the frame. It fell somewhere under the engine.

The pic of the one I first posted LOOKS like it would fit.

·
Super Moderator
14,787 Posts
I have one in a box, not under my car. The one under the car, partially tore off, was hanging, and dragging. I took my car to the dealer service, asked then to raise it up, and just remove it. (I had no way to do that myself).

I have not replaced it, as I was assured not to worry. Someday, I'll get it put back on.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have one in a box, not under my car. The one under the car, partially tore off, was hanging, and dragging. I took my car to the dealer service, asked then to raise it up, and just remove it. (I had no way to do that myself).

I have not replaced it, as I was assured not to worry. Someday, I'll get it put back on.
Thanks Dnyed. I won't worry. I was just wanting the keep some of the rust off some of the parts under there. The local road department spreads enough salt in the winter to fill the seven seas.

·
Super Moderator
14,787 Posts
I understand. My friend, Org member Fowvay, told me that his had not had the shield for 10+ years, and no issues. He lives in Ohio. I may get mine put back on, but for now, I'm not sweating it.

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Iggy's was also missing when I got her. Not high on my list; but we have no salt/snow on the roads here. Figure if I ever lower I will get one of the good metal ones.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Apprentice Org-aholic!
1,470 Posts
Mine was slowly eaten away by the road and a small hill. That will teach me from parking to close to the curb. But i don't miss it. I do have plans for investing in a pazer skid plate....just for piece of mind.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 11 of 11 Posts