VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm sifting through the Beetle Blend Door thread slowly, but thought I'd ask for some pointers from some seasoned members.
Im old school, and air cooled VW's have been my thing for the past 40 years.

I bought a one owner, super low mileage 03 turbo Beetle for my daughter, and as I sift through a few posts to familiarize myself with beetle heat & ac issues, perhaps someone here has either had an identical issue, or can at least pass on some details before i take the dash apart to see exactly what im dealing with. As a trade mechanic, I'd like to have whatever i may need before ripping out the entire dashboard.

When i test drove the car, the AC was on, working, and cold, as it should be. I didnt not bother checking the heat, or cycling through the vents (floor, defrost, etc), but did notice that the center drivers vent was 'dead'.

Today i replaced all four rotors, threw on some new pads, and took it down for some new tires, alignment, and inspection. On the way home, I hit a rather small pot hole, and the nice cold AC immediately turned to melt your face off heat. The temperature control obviously didnt change anything, and rotating the temp knob, I didnt hear any change usually present in vacuum operated servos. Vent position knob didnt change anything either.

After sitting for a few hours, i started the car and after a minute had some nice cold AC blowing out of the dash vents. after a minute or two of bump hunting, back to melt your face off heat it went.

So normally , this would point to a blend door issue, which is obviously a common failure for these cars - so what Im hoping to find from some of your experience is whether this car could have a cable operated door, or vacuum / electronic / servo operated door.

It seems the current popular thread regarding the blend door issue is certainly detailed enough, but i havent found anything to help identify what type of door control I actually have, before dismantling.

I am a well seasoned air cooled mechanic, and a diesel wrench by trade, so the repair itself is far less an issue for me than simply having a solid idea of whats behind the dash before i remove it, and I would appreciate any experience someone could pass on.

·
Registered
128 Posts
So normally , this would point to a blend door issue, which is obviously a common failure for these cars - so what Im hoping to find from some of your experience is whether this car could have a cable operated door, or vacuum / electronic / servo operated door.
The temp and blend door are cable operated, as I recall one cable for the temp and two cables for the blend doors. The recirculate door is electrically operated. It really is not that hard, you will have a pile of parts to remove and replace. If you remove the evaporator/heater box you will have to open up the AC lines and heater as well, so be prepared with the proper VW coolant and two cans of 134a. There really is nothing a typical mechanic can't handle with this job. A little different to an air cooled Beetle heater though!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts