NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Now back in a Beetle!
2,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone...I just went out to the garage to measure it & it's approx. 19'x17'.I am looking for a garage heater so I can work on my Rocco on my days off(sun-mon)during the winter.The amount of insulation in the garage is unknown,and right now there is no direct heat to the garage,but it is warmer in there than it is outside.I'm looking for something that will heat it up quick & stay warm while I'm out there.I don't plan on keeping the heater on when I'm not in the garage.I don't like kero heaters due to the smell,so what do you recommend? Thanks in advance!
Ken
p.s. I forgot to mention the garage is attached,and is accessed thru a door from the kitchen;where you can either go down into the basement/man cave or go straight thru to the garage(another door)

·
Super Moderator
5,308 Posts
How about some baseboard heaters? Most of them run off 220 so you would have to get power run but you wouldn't have to worry about venting gas heaters or the smell from them.

·
Now back in a Beetle!
2,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont have 220v in the garage;just 120v.I was actually looking at 2 different ones at the moment:
15k-25k BTU Propane Convection Heater-RMC-LPC25DGD at The Home Depot
and this one.....
39-3/4 in. 1,500-Watt Portable Electric Convection Baseboard Heater with Remote Control-5628 at The Home Depot
I have heard that if you use LP gas the odor is much less than kerosene..if I got the electric one I'd get 2....I have 2 thermometers in various places in the garage now to gauge the difference between inside & outside temps.....

·
Now back in a Beetle!
2,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK I took readings from both thermometers;one is at 47 deg.,which is closer to the overhead door,and the one on the workbench is at 48 deg.Outside right now it is 24 deg. according to the weather channel.so I have a stupid question: what does this tell me? is my garage insulated or getting indirect heat from the house?? Lol.....

·
5/23/10 <3
10,918 Posts
We have a similar situation. We want to do a heater setup in our garage (22x28) and it is warmer in there than outside, though not toasty. I know our garage doors aren't insulated and I don't think there is much in the walls. We're looking into potentially something able to be run off of natural gas and vent outside. We have all electric at the house right now, but natural gas lines go to either neighbor so we need to find something that the gas company will come out and hook up for us. I can let you know if we figure out anything.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Hello everyone...I just went out to the garage to measure it & it's approx. 19'x17'.I am looking for a garage heater so I can work on my Rocco on my days off(sun-mon)during the winter.The amount of insulation in the garage is unknown,and right now there is no direct heat to the garage,but it is warmer in there than it is outside.I'm looking for something that will heat it up quick & stay warm while I'm out there.I don't plan on keeping the heater on when I'm not in the garage.I don't like kero heaters due to the smell,so what do you recommend? Thanks in advance!
Ken
p.s. I forgot to mention the garage is attached,and is accessed thru a door from the kitchen;where you can either go down into the basement/man cave or go straight thru to the garage(another door)
The propane heaters will give you probably the best heat but I am always afraid of Propane next to me and my car when I am working on it. Plus some of them are pretty pricey. I have this heater:
1,500-Watt Portable Electric Radiant Heater-BSW-1500 at The Home Depot

It actually works extremely well since it radiates heat and also has convection heat. I usually don't even turn it all the way to the highest setting. The third setting is fine for what I am doing in the garage unless it gets below Zero then I shouldn't be in the garage anyways. At the highest setting that thing gets pretty damn toasty.

I also have one of those Expensive Infrared heaters. They may be okay for inside the house but they $uck inside the garage. That 400 dollar heater couldn't keep up with my 50 dollar heater. (I got it on Sale last year for $49.95)

Some of those Dish Reflective heaters work well also but only if you are right under it or close to it. I think something that radiates heat and also uses convection technology is something you should be looking at.

·
Now back in a Beetle!
2,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmmm very interesting.So how long would it take for that heater in the link you have to heat the garage up enough to make it comfy to work?

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
My ex installed a wood stove in the garage.

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
radiant heaters our designed to heat objects, like you in a bathroom( those over head red bulb thingies) or your baby in the hospital warmer. They are not effienct at heating the air. They have to warm the objects in the room which then radiate heat into the air. So keep that in mind when choosing how you want to heat the garage.

Also that foil backed sheet foam can be glued to the garge door sections to add some insulation to a non-insulated garage door.

·
Registered
867 Posts
How about an overhead quartz heater or 2? If it is directed to where you are working it will keep you warm even if the room is relatively cold. All 1500 watt electric heaters provide around 5000btu/hr of heat no matter what type. You would need a few of them to get the amount of heat needed for a 2 car garage.

Amazon.com: Optimus H-9010 Garage/Shop Ceiling or Wall Mount Utility Heater: Home & Garden

For gas or propane you can get a wall mounted gas vented or unvented heater 15k to 36k btu. You might also want a fan to move the air around with one of these.
Amazon.com: ProCom Blue Flame Vent-Free Wall Heater - 30,000 BTU Output, 1000 Sq. Ft. Heating Capacity, Model# MD300TBA: Home Improvement

With a gas heater make sure it is safe for indoor use, many are supposed to be used outdoors or in a well ventilated/drafty space as they make large amounts of carbon monoxide.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Hmmm very interesting.So how long would it take for that heater in the link you have to heat the garage up enough to make it comfy to work?
The radiated heat is immediate! Actually, you can't stand in front of it for very long without burning your legs. ;) The convection part starts heating the surounding area. Depending where you are at in conjunction to the heater it will be very cozy in a very short period of time. Now if you move to the other end of the garage it may not feel as warm as closer to the heater. I personally like it a lot. It keeps me warm enough when I have to work in the garage on a cold winters day. It just depends on how insulated your garage is. I have a fully insulated garage and door so that does help a lot.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
radiant heaters our designed to heat objects, like you in a bathroom( those over head red bulb thingies) or your baby in the hospital warmer. They are not effienct at heating the air. They have to warm the objects in the room which then radiate heat into the air. So keep that in mind when choosing how you want to heat the garage.

Also that foil backed sheet foam can be glued to the garge door sections to add some insulation to a non-insulated garage door.
That's why a combination of radiant heat and convection heat is a much better combination.

·
Now back in a Beetle!
2,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The propane heaters will give you probably the best heat but I am always afraid of Propane next to me and my car when I am working on it. Plus some of them are pretty pricey. I have this heater:
1,500-Watt Portable Electric Radiant Heater-BSW-1500 at The Home Depot

It actually works extremely well since it radiates heat and also has convection heat. I usually don't even turn it all the way to the highest setting. The third setting is fine for what I am doing in the garage unless it gets below Zero then I shouldn't be in the garage anyways. At the highest setting that thing gets pretty damn toasty.

I also have one of those Expensive Infrared heaters. They may be okay for inside the house but they $uck inside the garage. That 400 dollar heater couldn't keep up with my 50 dollar heater. (I got it on Sale last year for $49.95)

Some of those Dish Reflective heaters work well also but only if you are right under it or close to it. I think something that radiates heat and also uses convection technology is something you should be looking at.
I looked at the specs for that conv./radiant heater in that link & it says 'heats up an area up to 200 sq. ft.'...so how is that going to affect a 360 sq ft garage? am i gonna need 2 of these? or am I looking at this the wrong way?

·
Now back in a Beetle!
2,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The radiated heat is immediate! Actually, you can't stand in front of it for very long without burning your legs. ;) The convection part starts heating the surounding area. Depending where you are at in conjunction to the heater it will be very cozy in a very short period of time. Now if you move to the other end of the garage it may not feel as warm as closer to the heater. I personally like it a lot. It keeps me warm enough when I have to work in the garage on a cold winters day. It just depends on how insulated your garage is. I have a fully insulated garage and door so that does help a lot.
BTW IndyTom whats the SQFT of your garage??

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
I hope it is vented or you better check if your ex has a sizable insurance policy out on you. :D
Yes, of course, it's ventilated. :lol: Bummer!

·
Now back in a Beetle!
2,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My Scirocco Race car project just got delivered to my garage! WOOHOO! Now I'm off to the local Legion to have a cold brewski..;)

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
My dad has a kerosene heater for his garage (used it more when we lived up north). Works fairly well. I'm going to go with a combo heater-A/C window unit for my garage, though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
1 - 20 of 30 Posts