VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And of course anyone else.

So my daughter is heading off to college in April, she's going to be up in the NC mountains, about a 300 mi drive each way. For school (nursing) she's going to be driving to clinicals at hospitals in the region. Up to 2 hrs of mountain roads 2-3 days a week. In addition the beetle has 145k, and has always had a minor turbo seal weep. So minor, zero oil loss/adding a quart between changes.

Water pump, timing belt, cam chain tensioner, thermostat/housing and that other water housing just done. New heater box connectors as one blew. Recent trans service at 125k. New brakes and tires. The PCV valve and that housing that breaks all the time. I fixed the airbox and she has heat, A/C, vent control. Heated seat pads need to be replaced..

Seriously thinking about going through it over the next few weeks and replacing every coolant, vacuum, boost and PCV line/component.

That or buying her a Hyundai. Not of a fan of this as it is the worst time in history to buy a new car....

I know this is totally random and subjective but what kind of life are you getting out of these things? Is it worth dropping a few grand in? Am I missing any major gotchas on the potential components swap list??

Random thoughts and comments welcome.

·
Registered
22 Posts
You have to consider it is a 20 year old car with 145k miles. Even if it has been well taken care of and you are proactive, there is still a good chance thing(s) will come up. How will she get them fixed and what will she use to get to the hospitals, especially if there is a wait for a part which is probably not stocked for a 20 year old car? I'm already running into parts for our 2000 1.8T which are NLA from VW.

At least with a new or certified pre-owned car, there is a warranty and anything that comes up is the dealer's problem and the dealer should provide a loaner (confirm that before you buy though). And that doesn't consider other advantages of a new(er) car - such as improved fuel efficiency and safety (depending what you buy).

While it isn't a good time to be buying car, it is actually a good time to be selling a running car that has been well take care of.

If it was my daughter and I/she could afford it, I would probably rather see her in a new or certified Golf or Jetta with a warranty than a 20 year old car with 145k miles. That would hopefully avoid the distraction and hassle of car problems when she'll be busy enough with school and work.

Good luck!

(Edit - just saw your and Billymades' posts in the coolant leak thread - looks like Billymade made most of these same points in that thread as well)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Well as of 6pm ET my daughter is driving a 22 Hyundai Accent. Not the best time at all to buy a car but it wasn't too bad. Market is crazy, there were like 10 in the whole state available and we had to drive 60 miles from our house to the closest dealer with inventory. Started out with a blue one and it sold in 10 min, so we took a red one as it was coming off the truck. Car went through PDI, dealer added tint, mud flaps, weather mats, "wax & Scotchgarde" crap for 1000 but I got them to pull 385 off and throw in a cargo net. I hate that crap..

Biggest issue now is the beetle went from 240 every 6 months on the insurance to 700 as it is now on my 16yr old son. Thinking of selling him and the beetle. The insurance on the Accent is only 241 with my daughter.

My son is a boy scout and almost at Eagle, he wants to do the automotive merit badge. Thinking the beetle is going to be a great place for him to start. Think he needs to learn how to replace all the coolant, PCV and vacuum lines. LOL

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.