NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the idea of this chipping my car. I have heard that you can get a chip that will increase your horsepower by quite a bit. I have been searching for a little bit and i have stumbled across this:

VOLKSWAGEN BEETLE GF Performance Chip

Is this something I should consider? like I said I am new to this and I need good advice. I am willing to spend more money if the brand is better quality, so if you find something better and more spendy I don't mind. Any suggestions would be great. [/B]

·
5/23/10 <3
11,095 Posts
You don't want a chip. Anything marketing themselves like that is garbage. What you want is a tune (which is often called chipping, since that used to be how tuning was done years ago - an actual chip on the ECU). There are a lot of great tuners out there. Unitronic (which is what I have on my GTI), APR, Revo, and GIAC are the biggest names. Each of them should have a website with a link for you to find your nearest dealer (not a dealership, but a facility authorized by the tuner to load the tunes on your car for you. My mechanic, for example, is a Unitronic dealer).

There are different stages of tunes. Each stage gives you more power but you'll often need supporting mods. Since you are at the beginning of this, I wouldn't recommend higher than Stage 1+, Stage 1 is probably even fine. But research each company and tune and price. APR is the most expensive, followed by Unitronic. Not sure on the other two. But all tunes aren't equal for sure. But its all subjective really.

Good luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Best Tune?

So who has the best tune for the guy that's going to slap a 3" down pipe, exhaust and an intake on a 2000 1.8T Beetle?

LM

·
Registered
8 Posts
JimJohnson . . . I don't know if I agree completely with Smileybug but maybe I'm not understanding his "CHIP" vs "TUNE" thing. I bought a "CHIP" on EBAY for my wifes '01 Turbo but it has not been installed yet. We were waiting to do it after her 100k warranty ran out, and since then the car has been parked "INOP" waiting for timing belt and O2 sensors. Am doing that now, must get a couple of other things done to get it back on the road and then plan to take it to a "dyno tuner" here who builds high end buggies. I have no idea if the chip will even fit or if I've been scammed, but it was cheap enough and we'll know in a month or two. I'll make sure to come back and report the outcome.

Jim (also)

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
JimJohnson . . . I don't know if I agree completely with Smileybug but maybe I'm not understanding his "CHIP" vs "TUNE" thing. I bought a "CHIP" on EBAY for my wifes '01 Turbo but it has not been installed yet. I have no idea if the chip will even fit or if I've been scammed, Jim (also)
"Her" chip vrs tune thing is spot on.
You would be better off IMO with a true tune, from a reputable company. The powers gains are impressive, and they have sold hundreds of thousands of them. Yes the initial cost seems pricy but if you look at the amount of power gained to the cost spent, its really the cheapest way to make HP on a turbo car, to get the bang for your buck.
Which company you chose is really up to the buyer, so do your research well. But I would stick with the big three. APR.......Unitronic......and Revo.

·
Registered
100 Posts
As I'm a remapper, I would like to tell you that, I do not recommend you to install a box, instead of it go to a chip tuner. There are lots of brands. You have to choose;

- Safe but not so much power
or
- Less safe but more power

The difference is giving more pressure on Turbo and more fuel into the engine (basically)

If you say safe, go to APR for it. They are very good for soft software. you can look on web goapr.com

1 - 6 of 6 Posts